Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Can anyone tell me about this machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/can-anyone-tell-me-about-machine-t268131.html)

cmb19 07-29-2015 09:07 AM

Can anyone tell me about this machine?

4 Attachment(s)
A friend of mine owns this machine, it belonged to her mother. She was going to throw it out or try and get a couple dollars for it, but I'm having a hard time figuring out the model and what it's worth. When she said she was going to throw it out, I almost had a stroke. I told her I would do some research and see if I could find out some information about it.

If I had the space/money, I would buy it off her myself. It's very dusty, my apologies, but hopefully you can see enough details in the all the pictures to help me out a little.

The best I can figure out, it's the RAF pattern, and maybe a model 15? What I had been reading all made it seem as though it shouldn't be electric....but it is and is in a table with a knee bar. The serial number is AD699755.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]526379[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]526378[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]526380[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]526381[/ATTACH]

ArchaicArcane 07-29-2015 09:32 AM

Hi! Welcome!

It is an RAF decal, and a 15 model, likely a 15-90 - or at least that's what it is in its current incarnation. It may have started out life as another model 15 but likely this is original. The reason I say this is that it's got the solid handwheel and belted motor. If the handwheel had been spoked, it could be an indication of a model that was upgraded with a motor.

Please find that machine a home! The RAF isn't a common decal set anymore, particularly "around here". It doesn't significantly raise the value - most Singers don't command high prices, simply because they're so plentiful - but it does make it desirable to some people.

soman2 07-29-2015 10:03 AM

Singer 15

According to the S/N it's a model 15 made Aug. 10, 1934. There were 50,000 made in that production run.

Soman2

TOR

Rodney 07-29-2015 11:51 AM

It needs a new belt and a good cleaning. You can watch your local Craig's List for a while to get an idea of asking prices. The higher ones are unreasonable. Have you offered your friend anything? 15's are great quilting machines. They piece and free motion quilt quite well.
Rodney

Macybaby 07-29-2015 12:52 PM

it's a 15-30, the 15-90 will have reverse - this one is the older model with forward only. And yes, it would have come as an electric model from Singer.

the RAF makes it worth a bit more than the more common decal pattern. I was very, very happy to pay $75 for one like that in a cabinet for my collection - however the seller had been trying to sell it at a yard sale and craigslist, and no one wanted to pay that price until I came along - and I smiled all the way home (about 500 miles).

DO NOT LET THAT ONE GET TOSSED!! Ones with the rare decal patterns are worth finding a home for.

ArchaicArcane 07-29-2015 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby (Post 7271133)
it's a 15-30, the 15-90 will have reverse - this one is the older model with forward only. And yes, it would have come as an electric model from Singer.

Good catch. LOL! Would you believe I looked directly at that and still somehow missed that clue?

cmb19 07-29-2015 01:49 PM

Thanks for the info so far!
I haven't offered her anything because I would feel way too guilty if I shorted her by any amount. It's really in very good shape, just dirty.
I will make sure she doesn't just throw it out, even if I have to scrounge up some money for it myself and sell it later to make my money back.
I live in such a rural area that craigslist doesn't really exist here. No one sells Singers around here...the few times I see them are at flea markets or antique shops and they almost always want $200+ for anything even remotely close to being as nice as this one, no matter the model. Plus I'm sorta clueless to these things. I have a Slant-o-matic that was given to me for free, I just have to get it to my house..no clue anything about that machine either.

Caroline94535 07-29-2015 07:55 PM

I was stationed at an RAF Alconbury, for a year in the early 90s.

While I don't have any space for another cabinet, that machine would be precious to me. It makes me happy to just know there was such a Singer made

OurWorkbench 07-30-2015 05:58 AM

Could it be a 15-87? I looked at singerco's IPpartCharts (15-86_87.pdf) and it looks like it doesn't have reverse. Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

kt53sews 08-02-2015 06:25 PM

Don't feel guilty for what price you feel you can afford to pay for it. If she was going to throw it away, then she sees no real value in it. I would offer to pay her what you can afford, even if you make payments, she is getting something and you are getting a nice machine. More important no machine is being thrown away. A round here machine are sold at garage sales for between $25 to $50. So $75 is very good.