Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Can this machine be rescued? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/can-machine-rescued-t216857.html)

JudyTheSewer 06-12-2013 06:31 PM

It is just part of the hobby - mouse poop and spider webs. As long as I don't bring home a "live one" I'll be okay.:p

Glenn 06-12-2013 06:52 PM

Great job, looks almost new again
Skip

grant15clone 06-13-2013 03:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 6118514)
Grant,
What do you think caused all the mess, it looks like it was buried in an out house.

BTW did you post pics of the cabinet?

Joe & Elaine

Here you go Joe.
~G~
[ATTACH=CONFIG]418578[/ATTACH]

J Miller 06-13-2013 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by grant15clone (Post 6118533)
Joe, LOL. It DID look like it was stored in the Basement Apartment of that outhouse!:D I don't know where all of that gunk (as nice as I can say) came from. All I know was that it was someone's grandmothers machine. She passed away and it went to the mother. The mother passed away and it went to a daughter. That daughter didn't want it and dropped it of at the other daughters house that didn't have room for it. She saw my Want Ad for sewing machines and contacted me and I got it from her. Who knows where it was stored along the way.
I can take a picture or two of the cabinet tomorrow and post them here (maybe a new thread?). It isn't fabulous but not bad. Even the mice thought so.:D
~G~

Grant,

I have a theory. Grimy filth like that "could" have come from filthy little fingers messing with it. Kids body oils are magnets for dirt and turn to that kind of filth. Whatever the cause that machine is lucky to have survived intact. It looks great and deserves a chance at a new home now.

I have the same cabinet. Simple and good looking, yet quite useable. My Singer 338 is in it. The only thing I don't like about it is no storage drawers.

Joe

grant15clone 06-13-2013 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 6119638)
Grant,

I have a theory. Grimy filth like that "could" have come from filthy little fingers messing with it. Kids body oils are magnets for dirt and turn to that kind of filth. Whatever the cause that machine is lucky to have survived intact. It looks great and deserves a chance at a new home now.

I have the same cabinet. Simple and good looking, yet quite useable. My Singer 338 is in it. The only thing I don't like about it is no storage drawers.

Joe

I am going to find it a good home.
This one has a drawer on the left side. if you look close you can see the outline.
I posted a story about the machine and this cabinet here. http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...3881-4168.html
~G~

Candace 06-13-2013 07:49 AM

Wow, that Singer was filthy! I've cleaned some dirty and yucky machines, but I think that one wins a prize or something! Great job getting it cleaned up.

Janis 06-13-2013 01:49 PM

Grant, are you the one I see advertizing to buy sewing machines on craigslist when I am up at my daughter's home? I see them all the time when I'm there in the NW suburbs of Chicago.
And I see Miriam selling her rehabs here in IN.

miriam 06-13-2013 02:32 PM

I was wondering if anybody was reading the CL ads...

grant15clone 06-13-2013 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Janis (Post 6120473)
Grant, are you the one I see advertizing to buy sewing machines on craigslist when I am up at my daughter's home? I see them all the time when I'm there in the NW suburbs of Chicago.
And I see Miriam selling her rehabs here in IN.

Yes, that is me.
~G~

Janis 06-15-2013 05:59 AM

It's nice to be able to put a name to a listing that I see on CL list when I see them. At first I thought that Miriam was buying all of the machines on the local CL list. Then I saw that she was selling a lot of them. I can recognize which ones are hers, and say a silent 'hi' when I read them. So Miriam, let this be known that someone is talking to you at times. I've bought only one machine off CL, and attempted to a couple of other times, only to have someone beat me to them. But I keep watching...... Good luck to both of you on the buying and selling of the machines.