Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Can this machine be rescued? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/can-machine-rescued-t216857.html)

Cari-in-Oly 09-29-2014 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney (Post 6908905)
Very nice Steve! Thanks for showing us. I see an A&W rootbeer mug in the background. I used to collect them. They work well with regular beer too. ;) I used to keep a few in the freezer for when I got home from work.
Rodney

My first real job was at an A&W drive in back in '78 and my mom worked for a little while at the A&W in Capital Mall here in Oly in '97 I think. Everyone in the family had those mugs, lol.

Cari

notsothoreau 05-13-2015 03:46 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I picked up a White, stored in a barn. If it were a Singer, I think it would be restorable. But it's a White and there are too many pieces rusted through. I was given a newer White to use for parts, but discovered that the thread take up bar is shorter on this than the newer ones. So I am going to try and use the newer head in the treadle base. The sad thing is that it does move, so not frozen up. But all the tensioners need replacing, from the thread take up bar to the front plate.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]519613[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]519614[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]519615[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]519616[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]519617[/ATTACH]

SteveH 05-13-2015 03:53 PM

Totally recoverable condition. I'd go for it!

notsothoreau 05-13-2015 05:23 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I'd have to replace the front tension, which most experienced folks say is tricky. It has to go back into the front plate in a particular order. And there is a rusted tension spring on the thread take up bar. And, for some reason, while looking at it today, the bobbin race broke.

I find it odd that I can't swap parts on the two heads. The bobbin and bobbin holder fit in the newer head, but it's not picking up the thread. I should post a picture of the newer head too:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]519624[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]519627[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]519628[/ATTACH]

Macybaby 05-13-2015 05:26 PM

Can you read the serial number? of the rusty one, that is. I beleive your second one is much newer.

I've got at least three older White rotary machines that are suitable for parts. I got them unintentionally. I thought I was buying a load of cabinet parts - and ended up with about 10 machines as part of the deal.

notsothoreau 05-13-2015 05:45 PM

Newer one is from 1929. Older one is just odd. serial number is 7599. It doesn't have the large bobbin plate, even though the treadle base is cut for that. It has a smaller slider plate. The thread take bar looks the same, but is shorter on the older one. They have different top tension wheels. Faceplates interchange but that short tension takeup bar bangs against it on the bottom stroke. And I am totally unfamiliar with Whites, so I can't decide if there's a part mismatch or if I just don't have it set up right. I was going to try and buy a bobbin and case for the newer head, but now I'm concerned that I'll wind up with a part that won't fit.

grant15clone 05-14-2015 04:55 AM

What do you have to lose? At worst, it doesn't get fixed, but you will learn a lot anyway. And wouldn't you rather make a mistake on this machine than one in really good condition?
~G~

HelenAnn 05-14-2015 05:01 AM

She looks like she was in good shape when put away. Tricky parts are fun to learn on. great point Grant.

19cats 05-14-2015 05:07 AM

Are you turning the handwheel away from you when you try to pick up the bobbin thread?

notsothoreau 05-14-2015 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by 19cats (Post 7195225)
Are you turning the handwheel away from you when you try to pick up the bobbin thread?

Yes, I did learn that about Whites. Should I see any movement of the bobbin case or bobbin? I can see movement behind the case, but I don't see anything pick up the thread from the bobbin. I'm confident I've got the bobbin threaded correctly in the case. I'm using a 15 needle and read the manual on how to install the needle correctly. I should try that bobbin in the old machine and see if it picks up there.