Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Cinderella box recovered! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/cinderella-box-recovered-t221452.html)

J Miller 05-16-2013 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by CanadianGirl (Post 6065205)
Making the slip cover requires a lot of measuring...I made a paper pattern from freezer paper that covered the top and two ends, made the two side panels and sewed them in. added an inch around the bottom to wrap around to the inside. Carefully cut the holes for the handles. Used a lot of fabric glue. Painted the entire box with watered down fabric glue before the final "fitting". Put an extra piece of fabric between the base of the handles to camoflage the slit that has to be cut to allow the slip cover to go over the handle (this hides any gap). Used fabric that would be forgiving (an all-over pattern, no stripes or recognizable repeat to match up).cut away fabric that went over the latches, folded it back and used lots of fabric glue to hold it in place and prevent fraying. The important thing is to use fabric glue, that will dry clear, that is designed to go through the wash and still hold. And don't let anyone look too closely! If their nose is less than 6" away from the final product, give 'em a smack (jk)

The three I'm going to rebuild will have the handles and latches removed so that issue won't be a problem. I just want to get away from the spray contact glue.
Can you tell me what brand and or type of water proof fabric glue you used? There is still so much about this I don't even have a clue about.

Joe

miriam 05-16-2013 03:25 AM

Joe when you get it all together make a really awesome tutorial or video for us.

J Miller 05-16-2013 04:26 AM

Miriam,

I'll see what I can do.

Joe

BertieD 05-16-2013 03:52 PM

Beautiful little machine! Nice job on the slipcover. Amazing! The fabric does seem to match the machine.

LoisM 05-16-2013 09:22 PM

Oh, my! What a gorgeous machine! I wouldn't care if she worked or not. I'd just want to LOOK at her.

LoisM 05-16-2013 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 6066657)
My other grand daughter, Mercy sits with the little Cinderella machine and talks to the machine or makes up stories about the machine. She has visual problems so she can't sew but she wants to and she loves to make up amusing stories. I caught her looking at the lack of motor and lack of foot control and she told the machine, "It;s ok I can't sew either, Cinderella."

How sweet!

mtngrl 07-12-2015 04:11 AM

HI, i just found this thread! I saw the exact lovely machine yesterday at an antique shop. I think it may be missing the bobbin case. Do you know if it needs one? There is thread jammed in around the bobbin area but the guy says it runs. He wants $80 for it..I don't know if that is a good price or not as I don't have any vintage machines but she is beautiful.

miriam 07-12-2015 09:55 AM

The Cinderella takes a regular class 15 bobbin case and bobbin. If you love it then it is worth the money but you may want to see if they can take some off for the bobbin case.