Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Cleaning large rusted attachments? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/cleaning-large-rusted-attachments-t265488.html)

Sunflowerzz 05-22-2015 10:44 AM

Cleaning large rusted attachments?

3 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone, I am starting some serious sewing machine cleaning of my collection.

I have a nice White rotary that had some large attachments with it but they are in pretty bad shape. I know how to clean machines but not these. Should I do this in stages? Are they too far gone? What would be best to remove the rust with? And NO, I do not want to take them apart....so best way to clean them as a whole unit.
;)

Here are the pics:

greywuuf 05-22-2015 12:04 PM

People seem to use a product called "evap-o-rust" to good effect. I have never tried it... I use a very hot solution of citric acid ( caution will darken most metal ) they are not "too far gone" but they may not ever be real pretty again. the blue-black parts ( the thin springs) are the places you would end up braking first if they get realy rusty and yours seem to be workable.

Sunflowerzz 05-22-2015 12:19 PM

Thanks, I think I have some evap o rust. Maybe I will try brushing ( with my dremel ) off all of the loose rust first then soaking...

J Miller 05-22-2015 02:08 PM

The black parts are chemically blued. Just like guns. Evapo-Rust will remove this rust very quickly. Other than changing the appearance of the attachments I don't see too much of a downside to that. At least the rust will be gone.

Joe

Sunflowerzz 05-22-2015 03:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Joe, Nice to know about the chemically blued parts. I decided to just use my Dremel wire brush bit and they are looking pretty nice now. I am taking the screws out one by one to clean them and then all around where they go. It is slow going.

greywuuf 05-22-2015 03:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
wanna do mine next ?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]520408[/ATTACH]

Sunflowerzz 05-22-2015 09:55 PM

Oh...Veeery funny...LOL

psychonurse 05-23-2015 05:09 AM

I had Evap o rust on my shopping list for a while, never got to a real auto parts store to ask, and naval jelly did nothing.
quite by accident, this past week I went to Tractor Supply to buy cat food, and they had Evap o rust in one of the bins.
Hopefully today I will have some things soaking.

maviskw 05-24-2015 05:46 AM

I tried to buy Evap-o-rust at my local lumber yard/hardware store, but they didn't have it. I think I'll try Fleet Farm next.
By "Tractor Supply", do you mean a special store, or one that sells supplies for tractors.

greywuuf 05-24-2015 10:32 AM

Tractor Supply is the name of a Chain of Farm and ranch supply stores ... mostly in the south or midwest I think ( I have never been in one ... none here in Alaska ) but it is sort of a "home improvement" store catering to a farmer. Not so much Lumber Think large stock tanks Barbed wire , Chain , fencing material etc.