Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Cleaning and repairing the shellac clear coat on vintage sewing mcahines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/cleaning-repairing-shellac-clear-coat-vintage-sewing-mcahines-t186522.html)

Glenn 03-24-2016 02:16 PM

Just make sure the area is clean not need to sand. Apply decals and then let them dry for a day then clear coat with shellac. Let the shellac cure for a week and the polish and wax as desired. Ebay is the best for Singer decals.

NMozzy 01-02-2017 04:28 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Glen, my machine has excellent decals and shine but I've noticed some cracks in what I think is the clear coating. Would you recommend I do what you've written in this thread ? I'm new to restoring and shellacking so I'm nervous to jump in and attempt to fix it without someone else's advice. Thanks, Natalie
[ATTACH=CONFIG]564789[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]564790[/ATTACH]

Glenn 01-02-2017 05:37 AM

Natalie. You could try to french polish them out but I would leave them alone. I would practice on an old machine first if you are not familiar with this you could do more harm than good. Read and practice first. I recommend you leave it alone.

NMozzy 01-02-2017 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn (Post 7731333)
Natalie. You could try to french polish them out but I would leave them alone. I would practice on an old machine first if you are not familiar with this you could do more harm than good. Read and practice first. I recommend you leave it alone.

Ok thanks. I hope to use my machine this year for some sewing projects. From your response I gather it's just cosmetic cracks in the clear polish that I shouldn't be concerned about. Is that right? I only wipe my machine down with singer sewing machine oil so I'm hoping that's all I need to do to prevent it from getting worse. I was worried the cracks could go deeper and paint may flake off.

Glenn 01-02-2017 07:04 AM

Only cosmetic, just wipe it down with machine oil. Yes by all means use the machine.

bkay 01-02-2017 04:08 PM

Is this mold?

3 Attachment(s)
I received this a couple of months ago. It was my mother's machine. I learned to sew on it. My Dad gave it to my mom as a present the year I was born. It is very sentimental to me. I've done nothing to it so far, but have it on the top of my list as a project. (I'm parting out all the machines that are in the way right now.)

It has those white dots, which I would guess is mold. As I understand it, the shellac is breaking down. You can see on the top where the machine was lifted and lowered many times. I'm not sure if it's dirty or the shellac is going south.

I noted that you suggested that the french polish takes some practice. I have a 201-2 that is about the same age and condition (minus the white spots) that I could start on. However, I really like that one, too and don't want to mess it up either.

What do you suggest?

bkay

miriam 01-03-2017 03:49 AM

Try TR3 and see if it helps the white spots just go easy with it. Always test.
The cracking is from extreme temperatures.

bkay 01-03-2017 06:29 AM

Do you mean TR3 resin glaze polish?

It really needs some kind of "soap and water" treatment. I think it has a lot of hand grime. It's evident on the cabinet. Is there some kind of cleaner that works and won't harm the finish (machine, not cabinet)?

I just realized that the spots are not on the machine, just that spacer that the wires go through and the plug. Would that make any difference on how it is handled?

bkay

Cari-in-Oly 01-03-2017 08:32 AM

I would use Lysol wipes on the spacer but not on the machine. use the TR3 resin glaze like Miriam suggested on the machine. Follow the instructions on the can to a tee. The first go round will clean the machine, then the next go round will polish it. Have a good supply of cotton balls handy.

Cari

bkay 01-03-2017 04:09 PM

Thanks, Cari and Miriam.

bkay