Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Current Price of a Featherweight (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/current-price-featherweight-t127992.html)

so-sew 06-04-2011 10:05 AM

I've decided to liquidate my fleet of sewing machines to raise money for a Bernina to back up my main machine. I'm sacrificing my Featherweight, but I'm OK with that. I never use her, and I'm a practical gal. She's in nice shape for her age, but her latches are broken on the case, and there isn't a manual. I put her on Craigslist this week for $300 and haven't had anyone interested. Do you think I should drop the price? The machines on Ebay seem to go for more than that. Has anyone bought a Featherweight lately?

np3 06-04-2011 10:14 AM

Depends on the year it was made, the number of decals, how many machines are posted at the same time, lots of factors.

More detail will attract more buyer's interest. IMHO

Charlee 06-04-2011 10:15 AM

List it again...I'd list it at least every week for a month to six weeks before I dropped the price...

sweetpea 06-04-2011 10:16 AM

I had to paid $300.00 for my a few mouth ago that is what they are gone for around here. My was in good shape and with case was in good shape as well. I would hold out for your price. Good luck.

so-sew 06-04-2011 10:17 AM

I didn't know certain years were more desireable. I think mine was made in December '49, but I'd have to double check.

QuiltnCowgirl 06-04-2011 10:18 AM

Your price seems to be in the range of what I see FW's going for. Don't rush to drop it just yet.

Have you listed it here on QB?

so-sew 06-04-2011 10:23 AM

I hesitate to list it here on the board because the buyer would probably need it shipped, and I want the buyer to take it for a test drive before commiting. Also, I don't how to do a safe transaction that way.

redquilter 06-04-2011 11:46 AM

I paid $170 for my '46 gal about 6 months ago on Ebay. It did need a new cord and some cleaning and the case was disgusting. Don't remember what I paid for all that but all together it cost me over $200.

Shelbie 06-04-2011 01:36 PM

Featherweights are selling in my part of Ontario from $200 to $450 so I don't think that your price is out of line. You just need to find the right buyer. Can you advertise it at your local quilt guild or through your LQS? Even a Community bulletin board in your library or Senior's Centre might be a good place to post your machine for sale.

SewExtremeSeams 06-04-2011 01:44 PM

You will laugh at this... or at least I did. Today on craigslist I saw a FW for sale for $1200. It wasn't anymore special than yours. THAT is wayyyy over priced. I agree, your price is right and follow Charlee's advice.

My choice would be to list it for a week. Take it off. Wait a bit. List it again for about a week. The right buyer might not be ready or home right now. Be patient. Craigslist is the only place I get my vintage machines. When I am traveling, I also look at machines listed in the cities we will be traveling through. :-D