Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Do you sell vintage machines without table or case? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/do-you-sell-vintage-machines-without-table-case-t247813.html)

Mrs. SewNSew 06-02-2014 08:03 PM

Do you sell vintage machines without table or case?

I have a Kenmore cleaned up and ready to re-home but I am not happy with the case. Is a cheap plastic case that feels more like a hazard than a help. The machine free stands firmly on 3 peg type feet. I will be showing it to someone next week but am not sure if I should bother with the case or not. If I were keeping it I wouldn't use the case. I feel it's ugly cheap plastic and offers a false sense of security. The machine is prettier out of the case. Maybe it's just me?

MFord 06-02-2014 08:44 PM

It can always keep the dust off the machine! I say offer the case; that's one more thing out of your home and room for another!

Margaret

oldsewnsew 06-02-2014 08:47 PM

Yeah, I had a cheap plastic case that didnt fit anything tightly enough, so I donated it with a machine that that I'd robbed a motor and cord block off of. Just explain the flaws and offer it if they want it?

foufymaus 06-02-2014 08:47 PM

I second that, offer the case. I know i have a case that feels flimsy but it does keep the dust off the machine and since i added a 'belt' that wraps around it keeps it closed.

miriam 06-03-2014 03:49 AM

People want cases.

J Miller 06-03-2014 04:31 AM

What Miriam said ^^^.

Also a three legged machine is wobbly and won't sit steady.

Joe

Mrs. SewNSew 06-03-2014 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 6742597)
What Miriam said ^^^.

Also a three legged machine is wobbly and won't sit steady.

Joe

I understand people really DO want cases. Heck, I want cases so yeah I get that. I just hate hate hate these cheap plastic jobs on the Kenmores!

Technically 3 legged should be wobbly, but this sucker stands really firm. Like I said, if I were keeping it, I would likely toss the case on this one, but I am not. I cannot keep them all! OK, back in the case we go!

Cecilia S. 06-03-2014 05:14 AM

Agreeing with others, and agree that aesthetically those plastics are UhhhhhGLY! So I would show and demonstrate the machine without case, and then tell them that it does come with a case if they want it for storage, dust protection, etc. I would just present the case as an extra, and not have the case be the thing to give the first impression.

miriam 06-03-2014 05:20 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Cecilia S. (Post 6742670)
Agreeing with others, but I would add that aesthetically those plastics are UhhhhhGLY! So I would show and demonstrate the machine without case, and then tell them that it does come with a case if they want it for storage, dust protection, etc. I would just present the case as an extra, and not have the case be the thing to give the first impression.

Yup throw it in free. You could also make a little dust cover.
Here's one I did in a few minutes. I used a shirt and some already quilted stuff. I cut the shirt - sewed two pieces together, sewed it to the quilted pieces, ripped out enough to attach pieces of the sleeve I narrowed down and then sewed those in tight and turned it through the button area and was done.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]477685[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]477686[/ATTACH]

tessagin 06-03-2014 05:24 AM

Wow! Great idea!

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 6742685)
Yup throw it in free. You could also make a little dust cover.
Here's one I did in a few minutes. I used a shirt and some already quilted stuff. I cut the shirt - sewed two pieces together, sewed it to the quilted pieces, ripped out enough to attach pieces of the sleeve I narrowed down and then sewed those in tight and turned it through the button area and was done.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]477685[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]477686[/ATTACH]