Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Do you think it makes a difference if it's new or vintage re: Featherweight (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/do-you-think-makes-difference-if-its-new-vintage-re-featherweight-t214795.html)

DanofNJ 02-24-2013 08:30 PM

Do you think it makes a difference if it's new or vintage re: Featherweight

I'm nearly completed restoring my featherweight which upon inspection needed work including a new motor and some finish repair/french polishing. My question is now regarding getting a case.

Do you think a "new" carrying case will due, or should I continue to search for a vintage case? The vintage cases are so darn expensive if you can get them on Ebay...

So...Would it make a difference to you?

Thanks for the help

didi 02-25-2013 04:25 AM

I think that depends on you! Are you going to use the FW, like going to meetings or is it just for looks. If for looks than I would look for a vintage one. Me personally, it wouldn't matter.

sandyl 02-25-2013 04:30 AM

Wouldn't matter to me, either. I guess if you are using it for yourself and you plan to move it about to sewing at other places I would get something "new" cause I'm not into the vintage stuff. Except for my (maybe vintage) FW which I totally love, BTW. Mine is in it's original case but would not mind if it had a different one, cause it's not about the case in my case. ha
Sandy

Shelbie 02-25-2013 05:15 AM

Many of the vintage featherweight cases stink and I mean literally. The original glues that were used break down over time and often harbour musty odours. I keep a bar of Irish Spring soap in my Featherweight case all of the time and it still has a bit of a smell if it sits unopened for too long. A new case especially one of the soft padded ones would be great for your machine and you would avoid the well used, scuffed banged up, broken lock smelly case.

lovelyl 02-25-2013 05:23 AM

I have two FWs and both cases smell so bad that I cannot use them. I would be hesitant to purchase a vintage one off of eBay for fear of getting one with an odor problem. I opted to purchase a padded FW case and am pleased with it.

J Miller 02-25-2013 06:24 AM

A machine that is not original all the way through is not really a collectable. Featherweights are not rare in the least, having been made for a very long time in mass quantities. So for me, I'd get a reproduction case and use it.
Our original case did stink pretty bad. We've gotten most but not all of that odor out, but like Shelbie says when it stays closed for a long time it will still stink.

I'm not a collector but a user with a variety of machines.

Joe

gramquilter2 02-25-2013 09:00 AM

I bought my Featherweights a Tutto case, I felt they deserved the best, (LOL) and both of their cases were really smelly!

Morag 02-25-2013 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by DanofNJ (Post 5886212)
I'm nearly completed restoring my featherweight which upon inspection needed work including a new motor and some finish repair/french polishing. My question is now regarding getting a case.

Do you think a "new" carrying case will due, or should I continue to search for a vintage case? The vintage cases are so darn expensive if you can get them on Ebay...

So...Would it make a difference to you?

Thanks for the help

I have seen sites that reburbish machines sell the cases for $40 or so....

totosmom 02-25-2013 03:59 PM

Personally, to me, it wouldn't matter if it were new or old. I just can't stand smelly. Now that I think about it, I guess I'd prefer one of those new roller cases -- so much easier on my aging back!

Mariposa 02-25-2013 04:35 PM

I'm not a purist, so my FW has a new case. Like it better than an old, stinky one that someone tried to cover up the smell............