Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   EARLY Elias Howe sewing machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/early-elias-howe-sewing-machine-t210095.html)

SteveH 01-08-2013 02:45 PM

Woo Hoo! I found a mechanic friend who was willing to help the DIL fix her car at a price low enough that I don't need to be involved!!!

This means that I will be able to work on the Howe tonight!!!

nanna-up-north 01-09-2013 05:38 AM

WoW!! I love watching your project and am so amazed at the progress. I'm not so adventuresome and have passed up some machines in the past due to their condition. (Don't beat me up.... I'm still new at this.) It certainly makes me realize that there is a lot for me to learn. Thanks, Steve.

SteveH 01-09-2013 08:57 AM

8 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north (Post 5773245)
(Don't beat me up.... I'm still new at this.) It certainly makes me realize that there is a lot for me to learn. Thanks, Steve.

I'm new at the sewing machines too, I've just worked on MUCH bigger projects, (1957 Chevy, 1967 Dodge Dart, 1966 Barracuda) so this almost feels like "tinkering". "Fear is the mind killer, it is the little death..."

Last night was fun. I got a fair bit done, and managed to talk myself into stopping at 10pm...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]386998[/ATTACH]

This are the main shaft bearings, one before, one after the "lovin"
[ATTACH=CONFIG]386999[/ATTACH]

One of the most challenging parts was cleaning the shuttle motion shaft. It looks like it is removable, but I was unwilling to risk damage to the bed by trying to torque it off. So I wire wheeled it in place.. carefully...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]387000[/ATTACH]

here is the underside after I painted the deck. The paint in the middle of the unit is the original, I left it that way.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]387001[/ATTACH]

another angle. Note the cleaned up "cone bearings"
[ATTACH=CONFIG]387002[/ATTACH]

Here is a cool angle showing the profiling done for the shuttle action.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]387003[/ATTACH]

one coat of primer, two coats of paint later...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]387004[/ATTACH]

I think that I am going to have to attack this with paint remover to remove the paint from the action areas. I should have masked it off like the badge...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]387005[/ATTACH]

Glenn 01-09-2013 09:21 AM

Steve you tinkering is wonderful. Now I have to go do some more polishing on my machines. You have inspired me to more to my old machines.
BTW Nancy called them her twins:o
Skip

SteveH 01-09-2013 09:36 AM

Thanks, Your articles and posts have certainly set the bar pretty high... I'm walking in your footsteps still.

A member on this board was kind enough to contact me directly and based on what was seen here, has decided to sell me the Elias Howe Model A that they have!!!! I believe it has the bits that this one is missing, and if so, I should be able to get both sewing (with a little sharing)

There is even a chance that I might be able to get the table as well... oh to dream....

Any thought about the paint removal issue? Do you think it needs to have the paint removed to operate correctly?

I know that it does not matter until I have a shuttle boat and bobbins but I want it to be "roadworthy" in any case.

miriam 01-09-2013 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north (Post 5773245)
WoW!! I love watching your project and am so amazed at the progress. I'm not so adventuresome and have passed up some machines in the past due to their condition. (Don't beat me up.... I'm still new at this.) It certainly makes me realize that there is a lot for me to learn. Thanks, Steve.

I pass on rusted up machines, too - grease and frozen up don't scare me a bit. This is a cool project to watch unfold, though.

SteveH 01-09-2013 10:29 AM

4 Attachment(s)
here are a few "reference" shots taken with better lighting.

underside
[ATTACH=CONFIG]387029[/ATTACH]

bed
[ATTACH=CONFIG]387030[/ATTACH]

back
[ATTACH=CONFIG]387031[/ATTACH]

front
[ATTACH=CONFIG]387032[/ATTACH]

SteveH 01-09-2013 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5773930)
I pass on rusted up machines, too

Ok, so any rusted machine made prior to 1899 let me know! I just might be interested.

SteveH 01-09-2013 11:17 AM

I am compiling a collection of other Howe's trying to develop a set of designs for the "gold work" accents. There were a few different, obviously hand painted designs.

The last two photos above were taken with the idea of using them as a canvas for developing the designs.

I am not sure of the significance of each design. perhaps the different designs were for different markets, or made in different places, or evolved through a sequence, or even just what the production/art manager felt like that day...

ponder... ponder...

SteveH 01-10-2013 09:12 AM

7 Attachment(s)
Lots of updates today.

Based on the numbers stamped into the frame we believe that this was made in 1870. So cool.

Thought I would include a couple of in-process shots today

Shuttle movement arm
[ATTACH=CONFIG]387238[/ATTACH]

Driveshaft, Needlebar movement arm, belt pulley, feed dog movement arm
[ATTACH=CONFIG]387239[/ATTACH]

After painting and tape removal. I actually had a dream about being bugged at not painting the feeddog cam end....
[ATTACH=CONFIG]387240[/ATTACH]

So I fixed THAT this morning.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]387241[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]387242[/ATTACH]

Here is a closeup of the feeddog arm showing adjustment and shuttle movement arm showing bearing end. Note the end of the feed dog movement arm (flat with "dimple") it is where the cone bearings go.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]387243[/ATTACH]

Here is a closeup of the shuttle movement arm bearing, it was seized and if you note the flat I would guess it was seized when it was still in use....
[ATTACH=CONFIG]387244[/ATTACH]

Vindication for Mizkaki's faith in Tri-Flow, it now spins beautifully!!