Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Electro Grand My first fixer upper:/ need a coach. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/electro-grand-my-first-fixer-upper-need-coach-t220305.html)

sambra 05-04-2013 05:53 PM

Can anyone tell me if I am missing tension disks or if this machine doesn't use them?

miriam 05-04-2013 06:21 PM

What does the inside of the thingy next to the spring look like? Is there something to squeeze the thread in there? I've not seen one without disks.

sambra 05-04-2013 06:43 PM

I believe you mean the cover part that the tension spring pokes out of...? It is smooth metal on the inside. LOL I guess I need to learn the terms. Or is thingy official. haha

miriam 05-04-2013 06:45 PM

Thingy is official. Is there anything in the thingy that would hold the thread? It is an odd tension.

sambra 05-04-2013 06:47 PM

Not a thing. It just wraps into the grove and comes out the other side. It is very awkward I think.

miriam 05-05-2013 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by sambra (Post 6044866)
Not a thing. It just wraps into the grove and comes out the other side. It is very awkward I think.

usually there is something to tighten/loosen/hold the thread - it's why it is called tension. I don't know if disks are missing or if it was an experimental tension. Understanding how a tension works might help you. There may be some video on line for that. Muv might even have one... if she doesn't she probably will read this and make a video showing how a tension works. You could just buy a new tension/find-an-old-one and put it on.

sambra 05-05-2013 06:38 AM

I would not be apposed to replacing it after all I really want to use it not just have it hold a vase of flowers. So any tensioner would work?

miriam 05-05-2013 06:42 AM

The tension has to fit the hole and be the right length. If you have some old junk machines around I guess you could test and see what fits. You might try ordering from Sew-classic - talk to her - she will help you find the right tension. Jenny is really nice. Stuff comes quick - get the Tri-Flo there, too. She has good bobbins. Get new tires for the bobbin winder and new spool pin felts - new motor belt - wires if you need them - dress up the machine!

I wish I could see that inside - then I would dig around in the junk and see if disks off another machine fit in there or what. Maybe it works like that - maybe someone else will chime in.

miriam 05-05-2013 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by sambra (Post 6040886)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]411428[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]411429[/ATTACH]Ok here is the tension configuration. The little part marked with an arrow I found in the accessories box, thought it might be part of the tensioner.

Yes the little part with the arrow is a part of a tension. It goes in by the knob with the numbers if it goes to that machine. What holds the thread?

sambra 05-05-2013 06:58 AM

Ok I sent her a request for info and advise. Thanks for the help. I also need a light bulb so I should be able to get it there too.