Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Electro Grand My first fixer upper:/ need a coach. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/electro-grand-my-first-fixer-upper-need-coach-t220305.html)

sambra 04-29-2013 12:17 PM

Electro Grand My first fixer upper:/ need a coach.

Hi every one! I an a total newby, first post; although I have been lurking for months and just love to read the threads. I have an Electro Grand that has been just sitting in my house for atleast 10 years. It was my husbands grandmother. It runs so quiet but I just cant seem to adjust the tension. It doesn't seem to be fit right. I cant find a specific repair for it. Not a whole lot of info on it to be found. I want to take it completely apart and clean it but I am so chicken. It is not as old as some on this board, I am thinking it is from the 50's or early 60's. I have the manual but all it has is oiling instructions. It came to me with a box of greist attachments with a manual dated 1957. I will post a pic as soon as I figure out how. It has a wonderful cabinet that it pops right down into. Any advise on its care would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Melissa in Ky.

sambra 05-01-2013 07:48 AM

I think i may have the top tension straitened out. I took it all apart and cleaned it. The odd thing is I could not find an exact example of it to go by, It doesnt have the 2 tension plates that I see on most of the older machines. Now if I could just get the bobbin tension right. Back to the old drawing board.

SteveH 05-01-2013 02:09 PM

welcome on your journey out of the shadows!!!

I'm looking forward to the pictures. I am mostly up to speed on the really old machines (Pre-1885) but i'd love to help you troubleshoot your machine..

miriam 05-02-2013 03:01 AM

There is a really good repair manual tells how to trouble shoot and if needed take the tension apart and put it back together. I have given up just adjusting. I just take the tension apart and put it back together. If all the parts are there and the spring is right it adjusts in a VERY short time. Here is a copy of the manual. http://www.tfsr.org/pub/technical_in...echanism_2.pdf
You will have to figure out what instructions apply to your machine.

miriam 05-02-2013 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by sambra (Post 6037813)
I think i may have the top tension straitened out. I took it all apart and cleaned it. The odd thing is I could not find an exact example of it to go by, It doesnt have the 2 tension plates that I see on most of the older machines. Now if I could just get the bobbin tension right. Back to the old drawing board.

I posted the manual - you may need to watch a video. Muv may have one in the sticky notes. Could it be that someone took your tension apart and lost one of the disks?

sambra 05-02-2013 07:13 AM

Thank you so much for the help. I did go through the link and although the parts in the tensions are similar none match exactly. I am going to get the pic taken and I will take some specific ones of the tension as it looks on my machine, I will also try to get one of it dismantled. Like I said before it sews so quiet and smooth when it is well, I want to get it going again for piecing. I can drop the feed dogs on it and my newer darning foot fits it but I am afraid it being a good FMQ machine would be to good to be true.

sambra 05-02-2013 08:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]411330[/ATTACH]Well I have been trying for an hour and this is the only pic I can get to upload I will keep trying to get the ones of the tension.

JudyTheSewer 05-02-2013 09:12 AM

Hi Sambra, your attachment is a very large size which might be the problem. Can you use program Paint to reduce its size to less than its current +1meg size? Let us know if you would like instructions to do that.
Judy

sambra 05-02-2013 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by JudyTheSewer (Post 6039980)
Hi Sambra, your attachment is a very large size which might be the problem. Can you use program Paint to reduce its size to less than its current +1meg size? Let us know if you would like instructions to do that.
Judy

that is exactly what I did and it froze up my laptop twice I will keep trying. Thanks.

sambra 05-02-2013 05:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]411428[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]411429[/ATTACH]Ok here is the tension configuration. The little part marked with an arrow I found in the accessories box, thought it might be part of the tensioner.