Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Elna Supermatic - a keeper? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/elna-supermatic-keeper-t228413.html)

ArchaicArcane 08-22-2013 08:52 AM

I agree with Candace. I found it a fairly finicky machine. Other people really like them though.

The pulley (about $20 - $25) was simple to replace though, it just requires a little more care than some other machines because the motor is on springs and can shift around. You need to brace that before you "drive" the pin out. I braced with some quick grips. Then pushed the pin out with a punch. It took me about 5 - 10 minutes without the special tool you can rent from Ray White. Being in Canada, I didn't want the hassle of sending it back and forth.

I have another brown / beige Supermatic here, it's not labelled that way, but it says 722010 on the plate. It will likely sit a long time before I put any work into it, because of the pulley and how much work they take to get purring.

That said, as a machine to use, it seemed quite nice. It was the tuning I didn't like because it seemed temperamental, but the one I had had been stored for 25 years in a basement, so that may have something to do with the grief it gave me.

Cecilia S. 08-22-2013 09:20 AM

Archaic and Candace, and everyone,

I have successfully replaced the pully on my Green Girl and am about to start tinkering to get her stitching. She is Old New Stock. One thing I am about to tackle is the Cam stitch length calibration.

When you said it took a lot to get it purring, what do you mean? What sort of things did you find tended to need attention? I would appreciate all heads-ups, as I navigate through this.

Thanks in advance!

Cecilia S. 08-22-2013 02:04 PM

Update: I spent the afternoon tinkering. Ah, such fun. I adjusted the Cam stitch length, which was set too long. Then I just ran the Green Girl for a while - sometimes without thread, sometimes with thread, just sewing straight lines on cotton fabric. I figure, after being essentially dormant for decades, she must just benefit from some motion!

This is neat, bringing a machine back to life.

Any other tips, please chime in! What to look/listen for?

Grammie Sharon 08-22-2013 07:19 PM

I have an Elna SU which I purchased in 1973. It has and still is serving me well. i take it in once a year for a cleaning. I'll post a pic tomorrow. Everytime I think about something new I hate the thought of not using the one I have.

b.beckybecky 01-19-2015 05:54 PM

Hi all,
my Elna Supermatic 722010 just had a bit of an interior meltdown. I think it is a 1947-48 model and has been bulletproof since I bought it in 1975.
I have gotten used to the quirks of this model and love it anyway. Now I am looking for a way to repair or (probably) replace it.
Any suggestions? I am looking on eBay but wouldn't want to get anything that hasn't been evaluated.
Any of you have one to sell? Thanks so much.

b.beckybecky 01-19-2015 05:58 PM

PS
I had someone open up my 722010 which has had the meltdown. He said that it had come detached from the springs and so certain components had come in contact and had melted. Not having seen into it myself, I am offering that description to any of you for your opinions.
If I could describe more would you be able to say if it is a goner or fixable?
many thanks!

Rodney 01-19-2015 06:16 PM

Sewing machine wiring is very simple. A motor, a light and a switch is about it. If it's just the wiring it's fixable. If there are any proprietary connectors that fried you may have to dig to find replacements.
Rodney

Pat M. 01-19-2015 08:38 PM

You can probably find a new pulley on line, I found one for my New Home for $3.99. As soon as the new pulley was on the noise went away, it is because of the flat spot on the pulley. Get a wooden clothes pin-take it apart and use one of the wooden pieces between the motor and the body of the machine when you are NOT using it.

pyrquilter 02-06-2015 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Yooper32 (Post 6248627)
Never been able to figure out if my Elna is considered an Elnamatic or not. It is gray, not green, has the free-arm, cover of the metal case is the table that slides around the free-arm . Bought it new in 1964. Sewed on it only for about 40 yrs. Never was in a shop, never gave me one bit of trouble. I have always cleaned and oiled it myself. It has about 10 cams. When I need a workhorse that I know won't get discombobulated with a heavy load, out she comes and is ready for anything. Anyone know what model this machine of mine really is? Instruction book was minimal and there never was any model mentioned.

I probably have the exact same model... also purchased in 1964, in New Zealand. Since moving to Canada I've had to run it through a transformer to convert voltage. Like yours, mine was never in the shop, was professionally cleaned and serviced once, and still sews a straight line and zig-zag better than any machine I've used since. Today when I got it out again after a couple of years, it's not winding the bobbin--and it no longer does buttonholes. Have you found anyone to service yours? I love how smooth this machine is, how quiet, true Swiss-made excellence.

TJ Legge 07-08-2015 10:25 AM

Loved finding this thread. I'm looking at the Supermatic, and wonder if anyone has used it to FMQ? On eBay, I found machines with darning plate, and one with the darning foot - but not a machine with both parts. I'm a FW junkie, but this looks like a super little machine.
TJ in Kingston