Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Examples of Vintage Singer 301 Quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/examples-vintage-singer-301-quilting-t216807.html)

cricket_iscute 03-21-2013 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 5941776)
What FMQing foot did you use for your 130? I have quite a large collection of various darning and embroidery feet and all of them put too much pressure on the fabric. Even lowering the foot pressure all the way... I've found the Pfaff 360 is a great FMQing machine. However, the card table for the 301 makes it the easiest and smoothest to use for FMQing.

I have the original foot that Pfaff made for the machine. It's all metal, of course. I have all the original feet. However, being short shank, many feet will work on the Pfaff 130.

cricket_iscute 03-21-2013 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by kath62 (Post 5943174)
I have a singer 401. You can Quilt with it to? I picked it up at a tag sale. With all the attachments. I downloaded the book, now JUST learn how to use it. WOW is it Heavy. No plastic part's. I'm going to use the walking foot to Quilt. I hope that's right. Help, Any idea's?

I would not fmq with the Singer 401. Straight line quilting is fine, though, and I've discovered I don't even need a walking foot; just the regular zig zag foot is fine. I never have any slippage.

The 401 is a good machine and worth having. Oh! There is a curved stitch on it, I think #10, which is great for straight-line quilting, especially over seams. You can get part of the design on each side of the seam, strengthening the seam, and it looks good.

cricket_iscute 03-21-2013 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by deedum (Post 5942875)
I love your free motion work. I just do meandering mainly. Time for me to branch out some. I have 2 301's and haven't FM with either yet. I usually use my singer 15 to FM.

The Singer 15s work well for fmq, also. Both the Singer 301 and Singer 15s have vertical bobbins, and that makes a huge difference.

cricket_iscute 03-21-2013 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by SherriB (Post 5942202)
Wow!!! You FMQ on the quilts is wonderful! I have a 301A that I had serviced a year ago. I need to get it out and try to FMQ with it. Any tips to a beginner using a 301? Mine is a short bed, if that makes a difference.

1. Make sure you have a good surface to the left and behind the machine that is the same level as the bed of the machine so the quilt is supported.
2. Oil the machine. I oil mine with every 8 hours of sewing, but maybe more often with fmq. Make sure the bobbin area is clean.
3. Drop the feed dogs. It's the screw under the bed to the back.
4. Set the stitch on zero (the line between forward and back).
5. Bring up your bobbin thread before you start. Loosen top tension a bit.
6. Use gloves for traction.
7. Practice on small quilt sandwiches.
8. Enjoy!

Candace 03-21-2013 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by cricket_iscute (Post 5944159)
I have the original foot that Pfaff made for the machine. It's all metal, of course. I have all the original feet. However, being short shank, many feet will work on the Pfaff 130.

Hmmm. I've not had your experience. I've tried many short shank darning feet and the machine doesn't like them. I also have a couple vintage Pfaff darning feet and those still keep the fabric to immobile. I'll stick to my other machines for FMQing! The 130 doesn't do as nice of a job IMHO.

purplefiend 03-21-2013 03:20 PM

Candace,
You've done a beautiful job of the quilting on your quilts. :)
I've had five 301s through the years and have never been able to successfully do FMQ. The darning foot just doesn't seem to work properly. I use them for piecework and a Singer 15-90 or 237 treadle for FMQ.
Sharon

Candace 03-21-2013 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend (Post 5944636)
Candace,
You've done a beautiful job of the quilting on your quilts. :)
I've had five 301s through the years and have never been able to successfully do FMQ. The darning foot just doesn't seem to work properly. I use them for piecework and a Singer 15-90 or 237 treadle for FMQ.
Sharon

If you have the feet I linked to, I don't understand why it wouldn't work? Did you try removing the last thread guide on the machine? I usually don't even do that. Are you getting skipped stitches or??

MissGrammy 07-23-2013 06:50 AM

Iswan, I have a 301 and want to try fmq on it. What is the all metal foot that you use, and where can I look for one. Thanks.