Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Extra Wheeler Wilson W9 head. What is the value? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/extra-wheeler-wilson-w9-head-what-value-t205740.html)

jennb 11-11-2012 09:46 PM

Extra Wheeler Wilson W9 head. What is the value?

I already own a W9 head that is in the process of being completely repainted and customized with my logo on it. It worked just fine but was really ugly and completely missing all the decals.

Anyway, I'm picking up a treadle tomorrow and I plan to keep the cabinet for the machine I already have, and would like to sell or part out the machine head currently in it. It is also lacking it's decals but is supposed to be in full working order. I'm having a hard time placing a value on it. Any suggestions?

carolaug 11-12-2012 03:20 AM

In poor condition....free to 25.00 - many people give them away...you can even find free treadles - I have been offered quite a few. They take up a lot of room. Once people know you are looking for one you will be amazed how many say...I have one of those in the barn, or cellar...once they try and sell them and they don't they ask if I want them.

jlhmnj 11-12-2012 06:33 AM

Your WW is probably worth the most parted out on ebay. You can do a "completed listing" search to see what they go for. Ashame to part out a working machine but seems the supply of no decal WW9's outweigh the demand.

Jon

Candace 11-12-2012 08:34 AM

It's not worth more than a few bucks.

TinkerQuilts 11-12-2012 11:58 AM

I picked up a spare head for $20 just for parts. The bobbin was included, which is the most hard to replace part. I agree it's not worth much if the decals are shot. Best options are to keep it as a parts machine for your new pretty one, or part it out on Ebay. Whatever you choose to do - keep the bobbin(s)!!!

jennb 11-12-2012 01:48 PM

yeah she works beautifully she's just not attractive. The decals are completely gone, and the clear coat is all crackled on the bed and bubbled up. She still is threaded from the last time the guy's grandmother used it, more than 50 years ago. It has the bobbin, all the plates, and everything. I will keep the bobbin and part out the machine most likely, because I know the visual condition of it won't lend it to being resold.
The cabinet though is in pretty decent shape. There's some of the filigree wood missing from a couple of drawers but otherwise she's beautiful, and the irons are in great condition too. I see 2 screws missing from it but otherwise it looks to be completely intact. The missing screws are to hold the belly in place but there are other screws holding it there so I'll look for those eventually. I'm not looking to recoup what I paid for it but anything I can get back would be nice since funds are kinda tight right now. I'll try to get some decent pics shortly.