Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Featherweight Rewiring (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/featherweight-rewiring-t173917.html)

tlpa 12-31-2011 02:50 PM

Featherweight Rewiring

Happy New Year!
My featherweight smokes when being used. It's fairly new to me and I'm dying to use it, but not until its re-wired. I took off the bottom and noticed one of the wires is basically stripped and it appears this is what is smoking. Is this something that anyone has tried? I've noticed posts where people have rewired their foot controls, but not the machine. If you brought your machine to be re-wired by a pro did you go to a sewing machine repair shop? And how much did it cost?
Thank you! Any suggestions will help me decide what to do!
Everyone be safe tonight!

Mommomjoann 01-01-2012 05:02 AM

Omg! You better not use it..get it checked out!

Terryl 01-01-2012 06:19 AM

I purchased a Singer 66 Redeye that I had completely rewired and serviced at my local sewing machine repair shop it cost me $250 and is worth every penny, I have an excellent machine ( I paid $25 for her when I bought her). Check out the Vintage sewing machine thread here on the board, Billy has given lots of tips and instructions on working on vintage machines.

writerwomen 01-01-2012 12:30 PM

The wiring is not so much the issue as the time vested. We rewire when needed. Our time is far more then what we ever get in return monitarily as we ensure the machines are in top condition before leaving us.

Terryl 01-01-2012 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by writerwomen (Post 4831239)
The wiring is not so much the issue as the time vested. We rewire when needed. Our time is far more then what we ever get in return monitarily as we ensure the machines are in top condition before leaving us.

????????????? Don't understand your response her post was inquiring about if anyone had their machine rewired and cost, as she thinks her featherweight needs to be rewired.

batik queen 01-02-2012 02:00 PM

My husband bought a kit on line, and completely rewired my featherweight. He said it was not difficult.

tlpa 01-02-2012 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by batik queen (Post 4835220)
My husband bought a kit on line, and completely rewired my featherweight. He said it was not difficult.

Hi Batik queen...could you tell me where he got the kit? In my searches online I didn't come up with anything.
Thanks!

tlpa 01-02-2012 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Terryl (Post 4831444)
????????????? Don't understand your response her post was inquiring about if anyone had their machine rewired and cost, as she thinks her featherweight needs to be rewired.

Hey! You have the same name as me....TerryL!!! Same spelling and everything!

M.I.Late 01-02-2012 08:35 PM

Ditto Joann... Don't even plug it in again until it's been rewired. Electrical is not kids play. If you think you can rewire it or have a friend, you can save some money doing it at home with a kit - if you're not sure - ask around locally and see what kind of prices you can get. Just go to someone legit. I've seen some (not-so) handy men really mess these up, so be careful. Better to be safe than sorry.

Wine Woman 01-02-2012 08:55 PM

I came across this website today and at the bottom of the page there is a area that you can bring up depending on what you need to know! Lots of information. Maybe this might help specially if you are going to rewire. I read they used the service manual for servicing the Featherweights when out in the field. If you do take it to someone make sure they have worked on Featherweights before. I have a person in my area that knows them inside and out. He cleaned and serviced my first one and did a great job. Maybe one of the wires just needs to be reconnected? Did you notify the person you bought it from? Maybe a little refund is in order to help with the other expense!! Hope you find some helpful info on this site.

http://www.singer-featherweight.com/...dard_main.html