Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Featherweight for Sale (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/featherweight-sale-t228357.html)

Daleen 08-20-2013 05:52 AM

Featherweight for Sale

I have recently acquired a Featherweight machine manufactured in January 23, 1950. It has many accessories including oil, instruction book, various feet and black carrying case. I was wondering what current prices are for this machine. Any assistance would be appreciated.

francie yuhas 08-20-2013 06:59 AM

I've seen them for anywhere from $225 to $400, depending on what part of the country it's located...assuming it works and has the bobbin case.

CookyIN 08-20-2013 07:12 AM

Check eBay or just ask what you want on your local craigslist and see if you get a nibble.

mlmack 08-20-2013 07:29 AM

Not a price recommendation, but every one I find in the wild is always $275, regardless of condition. I have only found the black one, though.

As mentioned, check eBay sold listings for Featherweight pricing.

StephT 08-20-2013 08:09 AM

a few weeks ago I purchased mine for $250. He was asking $345.

Shelbie 08-20-2013 12:42 PM

I think it really depends on your location and the condition of your machine. In my area of Southern Ontario Canada, featherweights are not quite as expensive as they were three or four years ago. I see many listed on Kijiji (Canadian version of Craig's List) in the $225-$350 range. Occasionally I still see them listed for $500 plus but then will see them re-listed and every time the asking price asked is lower. Singer made many Featherweights for many years and people have finally realized that they are not a rare machine and if you are patient, you will find one at an affordable price. I bought one of mine for $100 from a fellow quilter who just wanted it to be used. Of course if you are selling you should realize that a Featherweight sale will not make you rich and even if it was Grandma's machine it probably won't bring you mega dollars.

girliegirl 08-20-2013 01:25 PM

I got mine for about 150 with case and I was going to sell it till I saw the pricing... I didn't want some one to buy and resale it.. I always end up giving up mine for the price I paid for it.. I just do..

Cecilia S. 08-20-2013 01:53 PM

I see FWs listed for $200 plus, but guess what? They are still listed, months later.

It's the Great Featherweight Debate, as always... what is one "worth".

Personally, I would not ever pay more than $100. But, there are people who would. (And I'm not wagging a finger! We're just all different.) So if you are a seller, you need to ask whether you care more about how much dosh you'll get (in which case, eBay is your place to be, for you can always play it to your advantage to fetch a higher penny), or who it goes to (in which case you will want to have some control over who buys it.) Neither one is a right or a wrong way to be. There are no right and wrong prices.

Good luck! :-)

RedGarnet222 08-20-2013 01:54 PM

I saw one on the salvation army thrift store site for $125.00 this week.

girliegirl 08-21-2013 05:16 AM

did you grab it? what color was it.?

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 (Post 6245788)
I saw one on the salvation army thrift store site for $125.00 this week.