Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Featherweight skipping stitches (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/featherweight-skipping-stitches-t107277.html)

deema 03-13-2011 05:50 AM

I'm piecing on my featherweight right now, and suddenly it's skipping stitches. It ONLY happens right after a seam. Skips 5-6 stitches, then sews just fine until I hit another seam. It didn't start skipping until I started piecing rows together, but it did fine piecing blocks into rows. The seams aren't any thicker piecing the rows than they were with the blocks.

Here's what I have done to fix it:

Completely re-threaded, top thread and bobbin, wound a new bobbin as well. Yes, I am threading the needle right to left.

Cleaned and oiled everything, taking out the needle plate. Yes, the "finger" on the bobbin casing is in the right spot in the slot of the needle plate.

Replaced the needle, and yes, it's put in correctly with the flat side to the left. It's a 90/14, if that makes a difference?

I have increased and decreased the presser foot pressure.

My tension appears to be perfect, you know, when it's not skipping.

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Scrap Happy 03-13-2011 06:58 AM

deema, I got a FW in January and it took some time for me to get through every little quirk that I was doing. Here is a link that might help. Scroll down the page a little bit to find skipping stitches. I’m using a 70/10 needle and it’s working fine. Have you changed thread? Hope this helps and I'm curious to hear what others have to tell you.

http://singerfeatherweight221.blogsp...herweight.html

LindaR 03-13-2011 07:17 AM

MY FW hates bottomline bobbin thread...lots of skipped stitches..try another kind of thread

deema 03-13-2011 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Scrap Happy
deema, I got a FW in January and it took some time for me to get through every little quirk that I was doing. Here is a link that might help. Scroll down the page a little bit to find skipping stitches. I’m using a 70/10 needle and it’s working fine. Have you changed thread? Hope this helps and I'm curious to hear what others have to tell you.

Thank you for the link. I may try a bigger needle and see if that helps. Smaller number means bigger needle, right? So an 80/12 would be bigger than the 90/14...?

I didn't change the thread between piecing blocks and piecing the rows. I started a new spool when I started piecing this top and it's still pretty full. This is the first time piecing a top with my FW (I've only had her for a few weeks), so it could be that she's just temperamental about thread. I might try a different kind, (Using Connecting Threads thread), but like I said, there were no problems at all until today and I've been using the same spool for the whole thing thus far.

When I changed out the bobbin, it was nearly empty, so I thought it might have been sort of a bobbin tension kind of issue from it being so low, but the newly wound full bobbin didn't help it any...

deema 03-13-2011 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by LindaR
MY FW hates bottomline bobbin thread...lots of skipped stitches..try another kind of thread

I don't really think it's a thread issue (I'm using connecting threads thread, by the way)...The reason I tend to think it isn't the thread is because I've been piecing with it for a week or two on this top and haven't had a single missed stitch or issue at all.

The ONLY place it's skipping is immediately after a seam. It has no trouble getting over the seam, but as soon as it's over it, it skips a bunch and sews fine until *just* after the next seam. I'm thinking it's more of a mechanical issue...it's like...

Ok, we're going good (2layers)...oh, here comes a seam...(4layers), still ok...WHAT!? Back to two layers!? skip skip skip skip...ok, I get it...sew just fine (2layers)...seam (4layers) is ok...WHAT?!

Like the machine can't handle the transition BACK to just two layers of fabric from the thicker seam. Once the back end of the presser foot is over the seam, it sews fine. Am I making sense? lol

leaha 03-13-2011 07:42 AM

oh thanks ever so for the link!!!

Scrap Happy 03-13-2011 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by deema

Originally Posted by Scrap Happy

Thank you for the link. I may try a bigger needle and see if that helps. Smaller number means bigger needle, right? So an 80/12 would be bigger than the 90/14...?

I didn't change the thread between piecing blocks and piecing the rows. I started a new spool when I started piecing this top and it's still pretty full. This is the first time piecing a top with my FW (I've only had her for a few weeks), so it could be that she's just temperamental about thread. I might try a different kind, (Using Connecting Threads thread), but like I said, there were no problems at all until today and I've been using the same spool for the whole thing thus far.

When I changed out the bobbin, it was nearly empty, so I thought it might have been sort of a bobbin tension kind of issue from it being so low, but the newly wound full bobbin didn't help it any...

Yes I believe so. I use a universal needle because I always sew with 100% cotton so I'm not very knowledgeable about needles at all. I googled sewing machine needles and found this, hope it helps. http://sewing.about.com/od/sewingmac...Sizes.--94.htm

You might be on to something about the thread. I've read other people saying that FW's are picky about thread. When you place the thread on the spool pin make sure that the bar code is on the bottom. FW's are fussy about this.

I’m wondering if you adjust the tension a tad if it might help.
The 1st two weekends after I got my FW I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what I was doing wrong! That old song “Getting to Know You” from the King & I kept going through my head.

Have you changed anything else recently? If so that could be the culprit. I know this sounds obvious but it wasn’t for me at first – I was so confused.

milp04 03-13-2011 08:23 AM

I don't have a FW yet. But I wanted to share a thought that I had. Do you need to speed up or slow down after a seam?
I wouldn't think you would need to if sewing at a slow steady pace, but you never know.

I'll be watching this thread to see what everyone shares. I have a FW on the "Wish List" when the budget allows and I find a good deal.

Pam M

BellaBoo 03-13-2011 08:32 AM

FWs needs the Singer needle. There is a difference in the needle eye and length. I buy Singer needles to use just for my vintage Singers. Other brand will work but for perfect stitches try the Singer needles.

thepolyparrot 03-13-2011 08:54 AM

For skipped stitches, check to make sure that you're not using a "universal" needle. Universals were intended to bridge the gap between sewing on wovens vs. sewing on knits, so that the home sewer didn't have to try to keep two different types of points on hand. But, they don't sew wovens as well as sharps and they don't sew knits as well as ball points.

For skipped stitches using a "normal" (sharp) needle, (as long as the thread isn't shredding, too) I would first suspect that the needle or the eye is too large. Try an 80/12 or a 70/10.

If the thread is shredding as well as skipping, go to a large eye in the same size or go up a size or two until you find the one that holds the thread correctly in the groove along the needle.

With the right combination of needle and tensions, a FW will sew with any kind of thread - they were made to use even size 100 silks up to very heavy threads. :)