Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Is this a featherweight? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/featherweight-t209739.html)

Linda Wa St 01-01-2013 10:42 AM

Ask if the knee lever is there. I bought one with no lever. Cost me $25.00 to buy one and a lot of searching, so keep that in mind.
Linda Wa St

cricket_iscute 01-01-2013 12:27 PM

No, it's not a Featherweight (Singer 221). It is a Singer 99. That is the 3/4 version of the Singer 66 workhorse. I have one and it sews beautifully. If you find a Stoppax attachment for it (on ebay, about $60) and a feed dog cover, you can also free motion quilt with this machine. While most of my vintage machines are pristine or at least very good cosmetically and otherwise, my 99 is good mechanically but scratched cosmetically. I therefore use it for paper piecing, with pins that could scratch it. It is straight stitch only; not sure if there are zig-zag attachments for it, etc., but I would think so. It takes short-shank attachments, which you can get anywhere.

roserips 01-01-2013 12:38 PM

I went into a thrift shop a while back and they had a machine just like that saying it was a featherweight. I told them no it was a Singer 99. They wouldn't believe me so the simplest way for you to tell is pick it up. A featherweight weighs 11 pounds. A 99 weighs about 30 pounds. Feel the difference!

callen 01-02-2013 05:55 AM

I too, have that same bentwood case that I spruced up a bit. It was missing a small piece of wood but still looks very good to me. My case holds a 3/4 machine with La Vencedora decals on it. It too is in really nice shape. I was so excited to be able to buy it & it was my first purchase in the vintage addiction & has spurred me on to buy more but are only used for decorative purposes, so far. I have a FW from 1946 that is going to get some use soon.Enjoy your machine & that case will look fabulous when you clean it up some.

chewboo 01-02-2013 09:53 AM

I have one of those machines in the garage

purplefiend 01-02-2013 06:34 PM

I have one just like this, its a 99K, my machine is a hand crank. It used to have a motor on it, but being it was a 220volt; it wouldn't have worked in USA.
Sharon

cabbagepatchkid 01-04-2013 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Lormito (Post 5752608)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]385016[/ATTACH]

I found this on Craigslist, not sure if it's a featherweight. The serial # is AB551904

:shock: I had just finished reading this thread and then went to check out machines on my local CL and I came across this same picture....lol! I must live in the same general area as you, Lormito!!! :) $50.00 is an alright price for it. You might even be able to offer them a little less, since it's been listed for at least a week and no one has snapped it up, yet.

miriam 01-05-2013 03:09 AM

There is one for sale on CL in Indianapolis, too