Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Featherweight (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/featherweight-t214481.html)

solstice3 02-25-2013 07:32 AM

If it is in good shape I would grab it. They are very pricey in my area

chichimamma 02-25-2013 11:11 AM

I got a fantastic deal on my FW it is like new in case with everything there even the old tube of oil, of course it was dried up, for $200, yeah $235 is a buy it price!!!

Reba'squilts 02-26-2013 05:32 AM

I just want to thank everyone again. Yesterday my H and I went back to check out the FW. I took a needle and fabric...I knew how to thread it because of the advice given on this board. So it is in really good condition! My H got it for my birthday present! We came back to our RV, cleaned it and just are amazed at how good she looks! I have given her a name...Quinny, for the Latin word for 50...in honor of our 50 anniversary this year. Today she will get polished. Will post picture...when I learn how! Thanks again Carol aka Reba

pinkcastle 02-27-2013 06:20 AM

Congratulations on buying Quinny! You'll love sewing on her. I bought mine (Emily) several months ago and she is a joy to sew on. I've gotten very attached to the little gal.

Kittywolf13 02-27-2013 08:00 AM

I paid 250 for mine off Craigslist and it came from the original owners family. All others sell in this area for much more. This person didn't know what it was called or I'm sure it wouldn't have been waiting for me. Got it for my birthday last year. :)

Ellietow 02-27-2013 08:11 AM

Congratulations! I'm happy for you!

Claja99 02-27-2013 10:10 PM

If you Google the words: Singer Featherweight, many sites will come up. Browse through and explore. The Featherweights have a huge following of fans. There are sites that will help you date your machine, clean your machine, repair your machine, find accessories and parts for your machine, and even some that will help you learn to use your machine. I found a site that allowed me to download all the manuals for my machine. Happy Googling!

Wardy74 02-28-2013 03:42 PM

I managed to get one on ebay in the uk for £191. It is in really good nick and sews beautifully.

DonnaMiller 03-01-2013 01:41 PM

Flat side to the left is correct. A FW repairman, at Paducah, says that is the most common concern he sees. Also, he recomments half a cake of Safeguard soap, still in the box, placed inside the case. Don't let the soap itself touch anything in there. It does help and can be replaced as it gets old. I have used Irish Spring in my fabric storage boxes and it keeps musty smells away. Cases that look facded and thready, can be painted with black auto spray paint. This is a last ditch method though. Mine was coming off in a few places and the paint helped hold it in place. When dry, it was like new. It saved me $50 for buying a new, repro. case. Be sure to mask the handle, latch and hinges with painters tape though before painting outdoors. I know, poor folks have poor ways, but it looks great and gave it a new lease on life. Rubber feet for the case were obtainable on ebay for about $1 each. Saves your table.