Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Featherweight (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/featherweight-t214481.html)

Reba'squilts 02-21-2013 06:15 PM

Featherweight

I am wondering if someone would tell me if 235 dollars is too much for a 1957 featherweight. It comes with all of the attachments and also a add on zigzagger. I think it works, was unable to sew on it but did plug it in and it ran the decals look like it has hardly ever been used. They were asking 295 and agreed to drop the price to 235. I was actually looking for one from the fourties but this one might be ok. Is it too new to be a collectible featherweight. Thanks...I want one am trying to learn about them....but do not know much yet!!!

DogHouseMom 02-21-2013 06:47 PM

The best answer is ... it's worth what YOU are willing to pay for it. I personally wouldn't spend that much, but I have little interest in Featherweights. That doesn't mean I dislike them, I just don't have the attraction to them as I do other vintage machines. I do however watch the prices on them on E-bay and Craigslist, and I've seen many sell for a lot more, and very few sell for less than that price.

mighty 02-21-2013 06:57 PM

I think 235.00 is a fair price!!!!!

LuvQuiltin 02-21-2013 07:23 PM

If in good condition as you described, 235 is a good price.

NikkiLu 02-21-2013 08:01 PM

My DH paid much more than that for a 1954 model - it was also in very good condition.

neenee586 02-21-2013 08:11 PM

Seems like a fair price, I'd rather have a good condition one than a ratty cheaper one. Hope you plan on sewing on it........I love to piece with mine. Did it come with a case?

janiesews 02-22-2013 04:37 AM

That price sounds reasonable to me. Things I look for: is there a bobbin case with it? Bobbins can be purchased reasonably-case more costly. Does it have a cord/foot pedal? Does it run? Light bulbs are also reasonable and can be found without problems. Does it have a case? I love my Featherweight. Get Dave McCallums (sp) video and you will be able to maintain it also. Good luck.

sewmom 02-22-2013 05:15 AM

If the bobbin case, foot pedal, and attatchments are there and the zigzagger too, I would buy it. Bobbin case will cost you $50 and the zigzagger $40 if you have to buy them separate.

Reba'squilts 02-22-2013 06:03 AM

Thanks for all the replies...it does have a case, looks like a new cord..or the cord was a rubber type from the start. The case has a musty smell to it, I guess I could do something about that. The bobbin case is there, with a few extra bobbins. The needle that is in it is huge. Can you buy needles for it at Joann's or do you have to order on Internet? If I buy it I will sew on it but truthfully I love sewing on my diamond. So perhaps this is a quest. I love to go out and find things! I was hoping to find an old machine at a thrift shop. Perfect machine for 20 dollars! I know...I am a dreamer! Carol aka Reba

labeelady 02-22-2013 06:21 AM

I use regular Schmetz needles in my FW and they work fine! Some machines require needles that have longer shafts, but the FW will do just fine with any generic sewing needle. If you have Organ needles, those work well, also. I started using a Klasse needle in my newer Singer so would work in the FW also.

Just make sure you install the needle so that the flat side is to the left. Thread the needle from right to left.