Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Featherweights--Does anyone NOT love them? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/featherweights-does-anyone-not-love-them-t218905.html)

J Miller 04-12-2013 06:52 AM

We have one. My wife told me years ago she'd always wanted a FW. So year before last I got her one. Cute, easy to pack around, handy, but .... she's not used it once. I have used it several times and it's a good sewing machine for small stuff.
Love it, no. Dislike it, no. Would I buy another one, no. Well, maybe if it was cheep enough.

Joe

ArizonaKAT 04-12-2013 07:07 AM

I used to have two until my granddaughter, who would never go near a sewing machine, sat down and starting sewing on one of them. She has finished her first quit and I wanted to show her how to quit it on my 201 but she chose to tie it off. The big machines must scare her. So needless to say, I'm losing one of my twins to my granddaughter.

I've never sewn on anything newer than a 401 so I can't speak to the speed but the twins do a great job piecing for me. I do have them in a FW table which may be a help.

tomodachi1 04-12-2013 07:28 AM

Hi: I am considering purchasing a FW a 221 1940, the year I was born. I machine piece and hand quilt, live in a flat that doesn't have very much room, and want something lightweight. I have seen some in excellent condition for about $400-450 from Twice as Nice in Fremont, CA. Would this be a fair price?
Tomodachi

francie yuhas 04-12-2013 07:48 AM

I love my FW . I grew up sewing on it,so it has good feelings that come with it. We are on a long RV trip; it's great..doesn't take up much space,doesn't get disturbed by motion,like one with lots of electronics might. It's not 1000 stitches per minute,but I'm retired now and speed is no longer an issue. It's quite a conversation piece for other quilters on the road,as I often sew outside on the picnic table. I sew tops while traveling ,then quilt them on the " big J" when I get home.

BuzzinBumble 04-12-2013 08:43 AM

I thought they were so cute and of course portable, so I bought one. It sews beautifully, but well it's a bit too small for my taste. I ended up loving my 301 so much more than the FW. Like a few of the folks who posted here, I will probably end up selling my FW.

Belfrybat 04-12-2013 08:50 AM

I just purchased a Featherweight and really like her. She won't replace my Janome for the majority of piecing and garment sewing, but can't be beat for taking to class or putting on the TV tray and piecing while watching a video. I use a Brother 1500S for FMQ and a Singer 15-91 for quilting with a walking foot, so the Featherweight is only for portable work. Yes, she is slower than the larger machines, but so is the Janome Jem that folks really like.

Sandrea 04-12-2013 10:00 AM

I love my FW. It was manufactured in the l940's. They are very popular among quilters. Have heard from many that the reason is, that since it has no play in the shaft to sew zig zag stitching, that it was constructed with the straightest line of "straight stitching", best for sewing quilt pieces together. (piecing) The "newer" machines that make the beautiful decorative stitches and zig zag....there is a little bit of play in the shaft in order to accomodate the dec. stitches.....so the FW, designed for just straight stitch, is the best for straight quilting seams. I love my newer models - 4 Janome top of the lines, and 3 Husq. Vikings top or the line, but I also LOVE my little FW....Love to travel with it, and go to classes with it. I wouldn't part with it.......I would sort of predict that one day when they become scarce they may be very valuable. At at time a few years ago, quilters everywhere were scarfing them up and you could hardly find one for sale anywhere. If you have one and don't have to sell it, I would hang on to it.

Sally J 04-12-2013 11:14 AM

tomotachi1- At that price it should be in excellent condition with little or no wear to the gold accents and come with a lot of attachments and a really good case. I live in your area and things are more expensive here. If you look online there are people who only sell featherweights and they would be a place to look. You need to decide if you want all those extra things and are willing the pay for them. I learned how to sew on a FW so 2 years ago I purchased one. I got mine from Featherweight Poppy on line. I contacted him and told him what type of condition I wanted and what (if any attachments and case I wanted) I ended up with one without any attachments and I certainly didn't want that heavy case. It cost me $250 came in exact as described condition and ran like a top. I bought a soft case on line for $30 but some people use bowling cases. Whatever you do the most important thing is that is has been serviced, has a good motor,new belt as these rings will cost you after the purchase. Since you live near that store I would test drive it and ask lots of questions. Hope this helps. Yes I love my FW, great for classes and does sew a perfectly straight stitch. I have 5 other machines, 4 Vikings and a new Janome 8200 with all the bells and whistles but for piecing I love the FW.

KalamaQuilts 04-12-2013 12:26 PM

I wouldn't pay more than 300 bucks for one tomodachi1. they were made literally by the millions. that price is probably 300-ish bucks and then marked up to cover overhead and income. There are dozens on ebay at any one time and lots come up at www.shopgoodwill.com

I had a celery which I sold and still have my black one which I want to sell. Like some of the people above, I just don't care to sew on them although they are truly cute as a button. But I can't see that button when it is underneath and back of my sewing table. I've made room to actually use my treadle and Singer 15 clone, and hand crank. :) Our differences are what make us interesting.

vanginney 04-12-2013 12:32 PM

I like my FW but I love my Singer 201 more. Still wouldn't get rid of it. And if you don't have one - they are fun. Taken the FW ---rving this summer.