Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Got a free 66-18 today (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/got-free-66-18-today-t201418.html)

J Miller 09-24-2012 11:56 AM

Got a free 66-18 today

Last week my wife signed up for "Freecycle" here in IL. She was poking around looking for chairs when she saw an add for a free Singer sewing machine. Some rust, bad or missing cords, don't have the add handy, attachments, instruction manuals and needles.
OK, we emailed her. Nothing .... hmmmm
Emailed her again a couple days later when we saw her second edited add. This time she responded. Seems she has had two people contact her ahead of us. Wife said, if they don't take it call me on my cell phone.

Late Sunday she calls and said they didn't take it, it's on the front porch come and get it. Wife got her address and said we'll be there tomorrow morning. Asked her if she knew what model it was. Nope, neither her nor her husband had enough foresight to read the model # off of the manuals. All they new was that it was an old black machine from the 50s. OK, no matter.

So off we go this morning hoping that it was a model we didn't have, but knowing what ever it was it would be coming home with us.

The machine is a 66-18, with the black crinkle finish. This one make three.
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o...ger66-183a.jpg

It is complete. Motor, belt, controller, plug, presser foot, needle, even has the slide plate :) . The rust is minimal and will clean up easily. The over all condition of the machine is fair, but that will upgrade to very good after a thorough cleaning and oiling.

It came with a complete buttonholler in the green square plastic box, all cams, feed dog cover plate, and the instructions are there.
A complete box of attachments, some of them black side finish and a few needles.

The best part is the two manuals. A 66-16 and a 66-18 both in nearly pristine condition. Those two little books made the whole trip worth while. The machine and accessories just added the icing to the cake.

If this one sews as good as I believe it will I just might put it back in one of my cabinets.

Joe

Diannia 09-24-2012 12:20 PM

Nice save Joe! It was meant to come home with you...

Diannia

kitsykeel 09-24-2012 04:57 PM

Lucky Dawg! I must look for Freecycle in my area.

JudyTheSewer 09-24-2012 06:26 PM

Yea! That is the machine I learned to sew on when 10 years old. We had the button hole attachment but no other attachments. It was in a cabinet with a matching stool. I wish I had the foresight to not let mom sell it at a garage sale 15+ years ago but I didn't know I would want it someday. That machine was the best, it would sew though anything I put in front of it (including my finger one time). I'd pop it out of the cabinet to lighten the cabinet load and then drag it to my apartments to sew and then return it to mom. I put it in the back of a pickup once and the dust, dirt, and sand blew all over it but it sewed just as good as ever. What a great machine - AND FREE!!!! Great score.

DanofNJ 09-24-2012 06:43 PM

They sew really nicely. Good luck with it. Show it to us once it's cleaned up!

J Miller 09-24-2012 08:34 PM

DanofNJ,

Will do. I've got it 90% finished now. Replaced the power and foot controller cords, and have the rusted parts mostly cleaned. And it's all oiled up and running nicely. Just need to put it in a case and get the presser foot out of the Evapo-Rust, thread it up and see what happens.

Joe

Caroline S 09-25-2012 07:31 AM

Aren't freebies great! Yep, that is a real score. Two manuals, awesome! BTW, I do like the black and white cover. Is that one you made for your treadle?

J Miller 09-25-2012 08:57 AM

Caroline,

The machine under that cover is the 201-2. The treadle cover is kind of a jelly roll with mostly cat prints and the other one is a denim and fleece quilted cover.

Joe

Jingle 09-25-2012 11:04 AM

I'm so glad it found such a good home and care taker. It doesn't look too bad as is. Please show us a picture of it when you are finished fixing it up.

MimiBug123 09-25-2012 07:40 PM

Congrats! I hope you will enjoy it!