Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Granddaughter's FREE Dressmaker Sewing Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/granddaughters-free-dressmaker-sewing-machine-t200826.html)

Caroline S 09-18-2012 07:28 AM

Granddaughter's FREE Dressmaker Sewing Machine

3 Attachment(s)
My granddaughter found this Dressmaker Model 3000 on Freecycle. Yes, it was free. She brought it over for me to clean and oil. I discovered that the tension assembly dial was loose. It actually came out in my hand. Uh Oh. Got to think this one out. I noticed that there was what appeared to be a set screw hole on the inside and opposite it on the outside of the piller was a hole with a very small set screw. So, I replaced the tension assembly in the position that I figured would be best, tightened the set screw and test drove her. Well, it worked. She is a basic zig zag machine and sews a perfect stitch with perfect tension. My GD has named her Jocylyn. Oh no, does that mean that she has been bitten by the VINTAGE BUG????

jlm5419 09-18-2012 07:57 AM

Ya can't beat the price! Great find for your DGD. :thumbup:

J Miller 09-18-2012 07:58 AM

Wow! What a nice find. Now how old is your GD? :D Yep she's been bit.
Um and that is a basic ZZ machine, with all those dials....
I wouldn't mind playing with that for a while. Guess I'm just a bit greedy.. LOL
It sure is a pretty one though. She did real good.

Elaine

Caroline S 09-18-2012 08:24 AM

GD is twenty-two. I guess the Vintage Bug is contagious. She had one of those Plastic things and when she sewed with the 201 (the one that DD won't turn loose of) she was infected. It did not take long to figure out how it works as it is a basic ZZ machine. The needle does seem to park on the left.

J Miller 09-18-2012 10:20 AM

Caroline,

I have several ( a bunch ) of Japanese ZZ machines. Some park in the center and have a L-M-R control. Several park to the left and do not have the L-M-R lever. However one of them, the ALDENS, parks to the left on SS but it does have a L-M-R lever. Had it not come with the offset SS foot and needle plate and owners manual I would have never known it.

These machines are fascinating examples of what humans can design without computers.

I have one of the plastic wannabee Singers. I've had the shell off it (had to fix the bent bobbin winder) and was amazed at all the cheap stamped metal parts and plastic things inside. I guess I am further amazed that it actually sews nice stitches. For how long though, well that's any ones guess.

Joe

Jingle 09-18-2012 10:41 AM

Very pretty, looks as though it hasn't been used much. Probably needs oil and grease. Granddaughter did well getting it.

cabbagepatchkid 09-18-2012 03:07 PM

Awesome!! I love all of my Japanese machines!

kitsykeel 09-18-2012 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid (Post 5524398)
awesome!! I love all of my japanese machines!

ditto for me!!!!

Skyangel 09-18-2012 09:48 PM

I got a free Dressmaker 205 (advertised as "broken") off Freecycle a couple of years ago. It is also a basic zig-zag. I had it humming in about an hour after the basic clean-oil-adjust. Passed it on to a friend-of-a-friend who was really in need of a sewing machine. It has seen many miles of stitches since then. Should serve your GD well.

Mariposa 09-19-2012 06:17 AM

Congrats on her great find! Happy sewing!!