Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Grover and Baker treadle (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/grover-baker-treadle-t233771.html)

Caroline S 11-28-2013 06:23 AM

She moves!!! The excitement is growing here. I want to see how she makes her stitches.

amyjo 11-28-2013 06:47 AM

I don't know how I missed seeing this thread when it started, but Steve you are a magic man. The machine is awesome. Glad you were able to get it and it will work when you are finished.

SteveH 11-28-2013 11:49 AM

here is the YouTube video of the lady's machine like mine working (SHOWS STITCH)

G&B 1863

This is the machine that I am making these slides for.

SteveH 11-28-2013 01:45 PM

it's completely free moving now!! I am a pitman bolt and a needle from sewing. (moves really nice actually) It seems that the tougher they are to free the tighter they are mechanically, which makes them better/smoother once freed

SteveH 11-28-2013 05:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
here are two neat shots. you can really see the difference between the original silver needle plate and the steel plates i made... I plan to plate them today after turkey..... that needle plate was in the tool drawer, all I did was clean it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]449024[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]449025[/ATTACH]

Jeanette Frantz 11-28-2013 05:22 PM

Steve.

She's really looking good! Hope you and yours had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Jeanette

SteveH 12-06-2013 10:22 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Thank you! My needles arrived yesterday.

Here are a couple of pics of the G&B curved needle next to the W&W curved needle.
Definitely NOT interchangeable. (the smaller one is the G&B)

I am still working out how to thread the lower portion. (it is a two spool, two thread machine)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]450203[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]450204[/ATTACH]

viavillecinque 12-06-2013 09:54 PM

very amusing. I just sent you the old page that you edited, from arizona site, now I take your text that is a sort of contemporary translaction, and I put it in a big folder so i can loss it with more comfort.
all is the enthousiasm for the fascinating grover & baker. the needle is that on the right, or not?
now i calculate you are 9 hour before us here in italy. here is seven am of saturday, and for you ten pm of friday.
I see a magnific week end for you ! don't forget my greetings for mrs and mr Aston. wonderful sewing!
your machine is really as new now and you gained nearly a century and half.:o

SteveH 12-07-2013 12:42 PM

i have been sent a photo of the needle height gauge with a ruler next to it. I will be scaling a copy ASAP.

viavillecinque 12-08-2013 05:32 PM

wonderful. I was just wondering about the gauge, seeing it in the booklet, at the far end of space-time. is it a metal triangle , thick as the space between the two fingers of the presser foot, with an hole at the right highness of the needle eye?
yesterday I was encouraged to make another proof and I had the boldness to unscrew the needle...
now after twenty attempts it seems right. it makes green stitche. but when it met the fabric, double light flannel, I heard a sort of little squeak , that alarmed me.
but the two needle, upper and circular, don't touch each other. is it possible the point of the needle is a little dull?
I search to take photos
my machine is very similar to your, but mine is more.... dirty!:o