Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Hand Crank Discussion (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/hand-crank-discussion-t210341.html)

BoJangles 01-08-2013 07:15 AM

I use a HC for free motion thread play when you want/have to be perfectly accurate with your stitches! Great idea Steve!

How about starting at an easier point and designing a HC for some of our non Singer machines that are impossible to fit a Singer/Chinese HC on even if they have a motor boss? I have a beautiful 1910 New Home that I'd love to get a HC for, but the only HC's available are for Singers! It is virtually impossible to find a HC for any machine, except a Singer, unless you get lucky and can find a vintage HC that was made for your machine.

Nancy

Todie's Mom 01-08-2013 07:20 AM

Thanks Miriam. Good info...printed it and also saved it to a folder on desktop

miriam 01-08-2013 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Todie's Mom (Post 5771066)
Thanks Miriam. Good info...printed it and also saved it to a folder on desktop

Muv is a QB member and she has a lot of info on the sticky notes.

SteveH 01-08-2013 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Caroline S (Post 5771032)
Check out this link, http://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/screw_threads/, perfect for your technical mind.

Ohhh thank you.... Bookmarked

SteveH 01-08-2013 08:38 AM

Yes, the whole point of this is to be able to develop a HandCrank process/mechanism that will work on non-bossed (or offset bossed) machines.

I think that the most probable way to do this is to mimic the singer RARE device at the beginning of this thread, however nothing is clear yet. NOTE: It works by clamping around the shaft behind the handwheel. and is not connected to the head at all.

The details we have so far are:
1. Some machines have bosses for motors
2. Some machines have off-set bosses for motors
3. Some machines have NO bosses for motors
4. Machines have different diameter handwheels
5. Incorporating bobbin winders is important (if possible)
6. Original singer handcranks have mounting screws on the bottom
7. (in theory) New clone handcranks are cast as one piece.(crank and arm) (no photos yet...)
8. All machines have a shaft that is central to the handwheel....

I am planning to keep my thoughts mostly to myself until I have most of the details sorted out but I'll say that my idea includes inspiration from the "jackrabbit" (motor on spring-loaded base to contact treadles and run them as electrics) as well.

Nancy, can you shoot me a photo of the boss area on your New Home?

SteveH 01-08-2013 09:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
So, here is a drawing of the first pass at a idea for a mount.

It will need details like bolt holes to mount the upper and lower halves together around the machine shaft and a sliding threaded bit to go in the slot for the hand-crank to mount to.

There may be bending needed to get the drop tongue portion it far enough back to simulate the boss location on a bossed machine

[ATTACH=CONFIG]386652[/ATTACH]

here we go..... Thoughts?

miriam 01-08-2013 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 5771330)
So, here is a drawing of the first pass at a idea for a mount.

It will need details like bolt holes to mount the upper and lower halves together around the machine shaft and a sliding threaded bit to go in the slot for the hand-crank to mount to.

There may be bending needed to get the drop tongue portion it far enough back to simulate the boss location on a bossed machine

[ATTACH=CONFIG]386652[/ATTACH]

here we go..... Thoughts?

If it mounts to the shaft, where does the hand wheel fit? Does it need a hand wheel? How universal are the ends of the shaft that holds the hand wheel? I would love to test one out...

SteveH 01-08-2013 09:45 AM

The idea/hope is to have the lower half of this mount to the the belt guard. the upper half was drawn for clarity. (I did not want to try to Google sketch-up the belt guard.

SteveH 01-08-2013 09:47 AM

i cannot imagine that there are more than three diameters at best, simple bushings.

jlhmnj 01-08-2013 10:04 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5771360)
If it mounts to the shaft, where does the hand wheel fit? Does it need a hand wheel? How universal are the ends of the shaft that holds the hand wheel? I would love to test one out...

Sounds like a good excuse to buy up a bunch of different machines.