Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Have I corrupted my DGD? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/have-i-corrupted-my-dgd-t184666.html)

jlm5419 04-01-2012 08:49 AM

Have I corrupted my DGD?

I have a fondness for vintage sewing machines. I am spending this week with 3 of my grands, and my 8-year-old DGD decided she wanted to make a stuffed animal for her mother. Yesterday we were sitting there, sewing together on their 70s Kenmore sewing machine, and DGD says, "I love the smell of sewing machines!" I could only smile. I just wish I had more time with her. It is fun to see her face light up when she learns a new "trick" about how to put the pieces of fabric together.:)

ckcowl 04-01-2012 08:57 AM

that is wonderful! my youngest granddaughter started sewing/quilting when she was 4- and she is a fabric (freak!) she's 11 now- and has quite a stash---since she was 3 she would manage to get at least a fat quarter more if she could talk her parents into it---every single time they enter a store that sells fabric---she loves fabric! and even though i've always let the girls have pretty much free-reign in my stash as long as they use it-don't waste it---heaven forbid anyone (borrow) something from her stash!!! it is so good to see youngsters interested in being creative..the 2 older girls have made a quilt or two-but enjoy creating purses & other things more---the youngest- she is a quilter-
when she was 4 and made the first one we even tipped a dresser on its side for her to stand on at the long-arm table & she quilted it herself....the only thing she doesn't get to do is use a rotory cutter- she has to use scissors or ask an adult to cut for her....everything else she does.

crafty pat 04-01-2012 10:54 AM

How wonderful she can learn from you. She will always remember the things you teach her. My DGM taught me and I remember her every time I start making something new.

chickadeee55 04-01-2012 11:08 AM

You are creating wonderful memories, I think this is wonderful.

barri1 04-01-2012 11:15 AM

I wish I could find someone interested in quilting.. I bought one of my nieces a sewing machine, and he mom will use it to sew her stuff for her room, but the nieces doesn't have time.. She's a junior in high school, and wants to go Ivy league, so she is concurring her studies.. She is artistic, and paints, but... I have a group from the office coming over in a couple of weeks, as I am making them quilts.. with the hope that they will want to help.. I have extra machines, and supplies.. with the hope that they can take a machine home.. I want them to see that my shutters that have fabric in them, and the dust ruffle is all hand made, and extremely easy.. We are in an area of people too busy to do anyting but... Am I asking too much.. All I want to do is share my craft with someone..
Barri
Barri

nstitches4u 04-02-2012 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by jlm5419 (Post 5107559)
I have a fondness for vintage sewing machines. I am spending this week with 3 of my grands, and my 8-year-old DGD decided she wanted to make a stuffed animal for her mother. Yesterday we were sitting there, sewing together on their 70s Kenmore sewing machine, and DGD says, "I love the smell of sewing machines!" I could only smile. I just wish I had more time with her. It is fun to see her face light up when she learns a new "trick" about how to put the pieces of fabric together.:)

That is wonderful! I wish I had a granddaughter that I could teach to quilt. I have 2 grandsons that I adore, but I don't think they will give up baseball and basketball for quilting. lol