Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Help - 301 Needle Striking Bobbin Case Housing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/help-301-needle-striking-bobbin-case-housing-t175872.html)

Canada Kate 01-16-2012 03:01 PM

Help - 301 Needle Striking Bobbin Case Housing

2 Attachment(s)
I've had my 301A for about 2 weeks now and it has quickly risen to my number 1 machine. Last night I was happily sewing along when the needle hit a pin and broke off. I removed the old needle but discovered that the needle is now hitting the bobbin case housing (if that's what it is called) when it goes down. It seems to be out of alignment by only a mere fraction of an inch - see photos below. If I push the needle slightly to the right it goes down fine, but only if I am pushing on it. Is this something I can fix with basic household tools or does this require a trip to the Sewing Machine Hospital? If I can fix it, how do I do this?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]303785[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]303786[/ATTACH]

Candace 01-16-2012 04:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You'll need to retime it which is super easy on these. There are two small screws holding on the bobbin assembly. Loosen the screws and you can rotate the bobbin assembly. I bet they are already a smidge loose if the assembly moved out of alignment. One of the screws is partially shown in your photo, the other is directly on the bottom of it. You can either take off the feed dogs to get to them or remove the bottom pan and get at them that way.

janeite 01-18-2012 04:45 AM

How's the retiming going?

Canada Kate 01-19-2012 02:57 PM

OK, so I pulled a really blonde move here! I was all set to try and re-time it (and thanks so much to Candace for drawing the red circle where the screws are, I would have never figured it out otherwise), and decided thta I would just take the needle out and re-insert it to make sure it was in correctly. Turns out, it wasn't and that was my problem. I'm glad because it means that I don't have to try and re-time it, which, to be honest, made me kind of nervous. :o

cabbagepatchkid 01-20-2012 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 4881746)
You'll need to retime it which is super easy on these. There are two small screws holding on the bobbin assembly. Loosen the screws and you can rotate the bobbin assembly. I bet they are already a smidge loose if the assembly moved out of alignment. One of the screws is partially shown in your photo, the other is directly on the bottom of it. You can either take off the feed dogs to get to them or remove the bottom pan and get at them that way.

Even though this information wasn't needed for this job I'm glad to have it to save in my "Bookmarks" in case I ever run across the need to time my 301!

I was at a friend's house, last week, and she asked me if I knew what could be wrong with her sewing machine. She was getting big, big loops on the underneath of her sewing. Come to find out, she had recently changed the needle and put a new one in the wrong way around!!

Nanamoms 01-21-2012 06:28 AM

I'm also bookmarking this thread cause this sounds like something I'm going to need, too, being a blonde. HEHE But I haven't sewn on my 301 much and my FW is doing the same thing and I can't get the bobbin case reset properly.

Thanks so much for posting the great pics, Candace!