Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Help Identifying this Singer (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/help-identifying-singer-t213737.html)

auntpiggylpn 02-13-2013 09:09 AM

Help Identifying this Singer

1 Attachment(s)
I found a pretty vague CL ad http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/atq/3612545176.html and I have contacted the poster twice for information on this sewing machine. In my first email, I asked for more information and some pictures as there is no way to tell what type of machine is in the table by the ad. I'm in Indiana and this is in Michigan so I can't just go look at it. But I do have a family member that lives there so they could snag it up for me if needed. I got a this reply back "It's a Singer". Okay, thought I needed more information and still would like a picture so I sent a 2nd email asking if it powered on, if there was a power cord and foot, any accessories and or a manual and again a request for pictures. The poster's response "It is brown with gold handles. It powers on and there is a foot pedal" Still no pictures. Today I got an email with this picture in it. Can anyone identify what model this is? Is this even worth the aggravation I am going thru to get info out of this guy???

This is the picture I got today. The table appears to be in good condition and I do have some heads that I could drop in it if the machine is junk.

J Miller 02-13-2013 01:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
auntpiggylpn,

Well, I lightened up the pic a bit and all I can tell you is it's not a Singer. It looks to be a Japanese machine of some kind. The pic is so bad I can't tell for sure other than it's not a Singer.

Joe

auntpiggylpn 02-13-2013 01:50 PM

Thanks Joe! I've decided I'm not going to waste any more of my time with this guy.

quilt addict 02-13-2013 02:38 PM

I wouldn't waste my time either since it is not local. My only thought from the picture is the the Singer T&S had that kind of front piece that came out. But it is just a long shot guess.

Mitch's mom 02-13-2013 03:03 PM

It is a Singer and it is Japanese. It is a Singer 223. They weigh a hefty 40 pounds but make the prettiest satin stitch I have ever seen. It also has a built in blind hem stitch. Mine is on loan to my sister. It is the only Singer that was made in Japan.

Vintage.Singers.NYC 02-13-2013 04:03 PM

That *is* a Singer--and a rare, unusual one at that. That's the Singer 223, an excellent, sturdy, metal zigzag machine made in Japan. It's a steal at $30 and while I don't mean to urge you one way or the other, I'd snap that machine up in a heartbeat.

miriam 02-13-2013 04:17 PM

Someone had one of those at Ray White's class - it was pretty neat.

J Miller 02-13-2013 06:21 PM

That's a Singer? Hmmmmmm...................... Interesting. Maybe someday I'll get to see one in person.

Joe

auntpiggylpn 02-13-2013 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage.Singers.NYC (Post 5859594)
That *is* a Singer--and a rare, unusual one at that. That's the Singer 223, an excellent, sturdy, metal zigzag machine made in Japan. It's a steal at $30 and while I don't mean to urge you one way or the other, I'd snap that machine up in a heartbeat.

I have decided that I am going to get it. My cousin in Grand Rapids is going to pick it up for me and I will pick it up from her. I've sent her a list of things to check before handing over the cash.

Mitch's mom 02-13-2013 07:22 PM

You'll like it. It takes a regular class 15 bobbin. Don't try to ship it and for heavens sake make sure she takes it out of the table to move it. The weight of it will destroy the table if it were to fall or shift quickly during transport. I hope she is pretty stout. It is a heavy machine. The only comparable in size machine I have come across that is almost as heavy is a Pfaff 130. I have a 31-15 that is heavier but it is also an industrial. Be careful.