Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Help me identify this pretty blue lady! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/help-me-identify-pretty-blue-lady-t225972.html)

J Miller 07-17-2013 02:29 PM

fmoss,

Your machine is not a Necchi, it simply shares the same top tension spring and most likely the assembly as some other Japanese made machines. The Aldens ZZ I mentioned earlier would use the same spring as you machine.

joe

fmoss3 07-17-2013 02:43 PM

The assembly looks so different than any diagrams I can find online. I guess I'll just have to keep diggin'.

miriam 07-17-2013 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by fmoss3 (Post 6182673)
The assembly looks so different than any diagrams I can find online. I guess I'll just have to keep diggin'.

Tensions are basic. They have a socket. They have a post in the socket. The socket and post are held in with set screws. (NOTE: The post may in a few cases be screwed in to the socket at the end.) The post will have a pin in the hole in its middle. There will be a spring that goes over the post and into the socket. Set screws or ridges hold the spring in place. Then you will find various things. Some have a few plates mainly for looks. There should be disks for thread to pass through. Then you will find something to stop the pin in the middle of the post. Then you will see a bee hive spring. Then you will see parts to hold it all on and parts that make adjustments. They do vary but once you've done a few it isn't rocket science to figure out from the parts. The manual I posted earlier will tell how to set the socket and how to set the post and spring in the socket. You will have to look for the set screws. You will have to remember or record the order of the other parts. As you take it out you will need a system to remember. If this is too hard you may need to find someone to help you or do it for you. It is no shame to hire help...

CookyIN 07-17-2013 09:46 PM

What a sweet little machine. Congratulations on your find! I'm sure you'll get her humming along.

janegb 07-18-2013 05:53 AM

How does she sew? I have 9 or 10 of these badged Japanese machines. I love them! Most sew very quietly. You have a bargain anyway you look at it. She is beautiful!

fmoss3 07-18-2013 08:25 AM

Thanks again everybody, especially J Miller and Miriam! I'm not sure how she sews just yet, but she does run very smoothly. Hopefully the check spring will do the trick! She also needs a new belt, bobbin tire, bobbin case, and a rewire.

I'm not ashamed to ask for help... I'm just very determined to learn for myself! Best case scenario I learn a cool new skill relevant to my occupation, worst case scenario, I end up at the sew-n-vac.

This is my 3rd mid century Japanese machine. I'm quite addicted and I'm tempted to go back to the thrift store... somebody stop me, I'm running out of places to put them!

chris_quilts 07-18-2013 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by fmoss3 (Post 6183857)
Snip... This is my 3rd mid century Japanese machine. I'm quite addicted and I'm tempted to go back to the thrift store... somebody stop me, I'm running out of places to put them!

Just 3???????????? You're still a novice then in the collecting stage. I am joking as I know space is an issue with machines but I've got over 40 and still they follow DH and/or me home on occasion.