Hmmmmm, I might have found my Edison's problem, ...
...... now, how do I fix it?
I don't know if I've posted this before but I have an Edison badged 15 clone that's badly out of time. When I got it the case was full of broken and bent needles. I tried to sew with it but it just wouldn't. I asked for advise on one of the three sewing forums I'm on and was told something was out of time. I've lost the link to that thread so I can't refer back to it. I worked on it and actually got it to sew, but not very well, then I tried to adjust the top shaft and screwed it up so now it's back to not sewing.
I had compared the Edison to my HOTHER, both 15 clones, but they are just too different. Today I compared the Edison to the Singer 15-91 and they are very similar. All the parts are layed out the same. There is a bit of difference in their construction, but not function.
So as I'm looking at these machines I ran the needle up to TDC on the 15-91 and then the Edison. Then I compared the positions of the main shafts by looking through the stitch control lever holes and saw that the Edison shaft is 180º out from the 15-91.
This explains why the stitch control lever binds and why the feed dogs don't mesh up to the needle position.
Now, my next task is to figure out what is out of position. Either the needle bar end, or ~ the crank end has been turned. The crank end is held in place by two set screws, one with a tip that enters into a matching hole. So I don't know how that part could be turned.
At least now I have something to go on. Perhaps there is hope for the Edison yet.