Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   How do I get rid of mildew in featherweight case? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/how-do-i-get-rid-mildew-featherweight-case-t121699.html)

TootieAnn 05-10-2011 04:19 AM

Hydrogen peroxide might work also. It's basically the same principle as the alcohol solution. Half water, half hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle. Good luck!

cabinfever 05-10-2011 09:21 AM

My apologies to the board for mis-quoting Dave McCallum, I own the DVD's & book. It's been a few years since I repaired my case, but I truly wouldn't have believed he would have used 200 watts. I stand corrected; and hope my brain's not fading too fast.

It's the other life experience with electricity that probably influenced my conclusion. I would be wary of leaving any cord within that proximity to 200 watts for 8 hours in a closed up space; and certainly not unattended; but I assume many have successfully done so. I wouldn't use a plastic lampholder base, ever. My husband's the in high voltage electrical field, I was in the industrial engineering field myself.

Deenie 05-10-2011 09:24 AM

I put a dryer sheet in with my machine and leave it there, it helps.

Hen3rietta 05-10-2011 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by cabinfever
My apologies to the board for mis-quoting Dave McCallum, I own the DVD's & book. It's been a few years since I repaired my case, but I truly wouldn't have believed he would have used 200 watts. I stand corrected; and hope my brain's not fading too fast.

It's the other life experience with electricity that probably influenced my conclusion. I would be wary of leaving any cord within that proximity to 200 watts for 8 hours in a closed up space; and certainly not unattended; but I assume many have successfully done so. I wouldn't use a plastic lampholder base, ever. My husband's the in high voltage electrical field, I was in the industrial engineering field myself.

No..I did the same thing. 200W seemed like an awful lot. I'm trying everything else before I take that route. I understand the principle, but I'm concerned with the consequences if there is a failure.

I may have found a commercial product that did the trick but I'll wait a bit before reporting back. I only used it this morning.

Phyllis nm 06-01-2011 09:01 PM

wash with Hydrogen peroxide full straight, emts use it to kill germs after a run. mildew is behind the fabric also. wear gloves and mask. then bust up your charcoal for more coverage and close it inside before reapplying the fabric.
you need to get down to the source.
the peroxide kills mold when it is exposed to it.
the charcoal will take the smell away.

bemoreonline 06-01-2011 09:05 PM

I watched an antique show once that said spray vodka on moldy smelly furniture and let it sit ~ it gets rid of the smell !

quilttag 11-07-2011 07:26 AM

WAs wondering what in the end worked for you, now 6 months later. I got the same problem!

nhweaver 11-07-2011 08:42 AM

Fabrez makes a closet freshner, I wipe out the box with a lysol sprayed cloth, and then put it in the sun for a couple of days. Some boxes retain the "motor oil" aroma from the machine. Also, when you are storing your ladies, keep the box propped open a bit to keep air circulating.

Originally Posted by quilt3311 (Post 3209339)
I put several dryer sheets inside and left it for a week, ten opened and set in direct sunlight for several days. It worked and got rid of all the musty smell. Keep a dryer sheet in the bottom now. hope that helps.

TnetTizzy 11-07-2011 09:04 AM

Wondering how you did get rid of the spores and the odor. I do NOT want to add another fragrance to the smell by trying to mask it with the soaps, etc. (allergies) I had luck removing cigarette smells from books by placing in a paper bag and adding cat litter (not the ones with the fragrances) and letting set for a few days.