Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   How do you determine the value of a machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/how-do-you-determine-value-machine-t189222.html)

ewhite 05-16-2012 08:05 PM

How do you determine the value of a machine?

3 Attachment(s)
I'm trying to help a friend determine the value of her machine. I think that it is a 1922 Redeye? It looks like it's been modified with a Reverse/Stitch Regulator lever. It is an electric machine. She's putting the machine up for sale for a benefit and we don't really know where to go for information. I'd appreciate any help.
Elaine

jaciqltznok 05-16-2012 08:21 PM

very nice, but it is only worth what someone is willing to pay! In this condition with no book, no attachments, and in a cabinet, she might be able to get about $50-$75 for it!

NJ Quilter 05-17-2012 03:01 AM

Just bought one of these myself last week! It's in a similar style cabinet that's in really rough shape. There is a manual but I haven't had a chance to see what else is in the cabinet yet. Maybe that will be today's adventure! I paid $50 and was very happy with that price. I'm looking to put this into a different cabinet anyhow so it's condition was irrelevant to me. The machine runs and that's about all I know at this point. And this was in MD. And I agree completely that anything's worth is only what someone is willing to pay!

totosmom 05-17-2012 04:30 AM

Well, the first thing I would want to know is if it works. Does it sew smoothly and reliably? If it does, sew up a few small items and leave them on the machine as samples, maybe a pretty cloth napkin and a mug rug. I'd also list or show whatever accessories come with it. If there is no owner's manual, I'd download one and put it in a clear report cover. Everyone wants one of those.

Before the benefit, I'd clean and oil the insides as well as clean up the outside and the desk. Take care of those decals which are in pretty good shape. Craigslist and Ebay completed auctions will give you a general idea of asking and selling prices, but it's universally true that it is worth exactly what one person is willing to pay for it.

Wintersewer 05-18-2012 06:27 AM

I would mark it $50 (or maybe $75) or BEST OFFER. Let people leave bids and the best offer gets it when the sale is over. It's worth what someone is willing to pay, which usually isn't much.

jljack 05-18-2012 08:21 AM

Although most owners of antique/vintage machines seem to think they are worth $$$$++++, they actually are not. Most machines in fairly good condition, with some attachments and/or manual, will go for $30-75. In a cabinet, maybe a bit more, like $75-100. Some very popular ones, like the Featherweight 221 will go for more than $200, but that's a rarity.

I paid $60 for a late 1960s Singer Fashion Mate in a cabinet. But I gave the machine away and kept the cabinet, which was made in 1940's, and is kind of hard to find in good condition. It needs work, but I actually paid for the cabinet, not the machine.

Wintersewer 05-18-2012 08:41 AM

And it's AMAZING what folks will ask for a machine/cabinet in terrible condition!!! They will describe it as "beautiful", "mint" and "rare".....must be on drugs!

Brynn 05-18-2012 08:48 AM

Everyone else seems to have covered the important bits, but thank you for coming to ask the 'experts'! We're the folk who would be interested in it and would pay a decent price, so it's great that you took the time to help your friend and try to find a reasonable price for the Red Eye. $50-$75 is about what I'd pay for it too. :)

ewhite 05-18-2012 10:34 AM

Thank you all for this information! I had looked on ebay and was surprised by what seemed completely subjective prices. My friend will be selling this for a benefit so it seems that the best idea is to have people bid on it. It does work, and I'm thankful for the suggestion to have a sample of work available, Also I will download a manual, sadly there are no attachments found. It's a beautiful machine so hopefully my bid might win!
Again, thank you all for your help!

Latrinka 05-18-2012 12:03 PM

Beautiful machine!