Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   how do you focus your "I'm a collector" magnetism to certain machines? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/how-do-you-focus-your-im-collector-magnetism-certain-machines-t216804.html)

makitmama 03-20-2013 03:52 AM

I take them, oil them up, and gift them to youngsters.

frudemoo 03-20-2013 04:20 AM

I love it Steve!
I'm interested in machines that have something unique or quirky about them - but they have to work well, too.

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5940588)
For me I'm pretty loose as far as criteria goes. If the machine adds something to our sewing machines or does something others don't do, or it interests me, or makes me curious, I'll go for it. ... one of the best sewing machines I have. Runs quiet, smooth, makes good stitches and isn't finicky at all.

I think my collecting style is just like yours Joe! I'd love to know what other machines you have in your collection.

quiltstringz 03-20-2013 06:13 AM

Sometimes we do things out of desperation. You can just tell her that you don't collect that brand and are running out of room anyways!

MimiBug123 03-20-2013 06:58 AM

If I like it, I need it! I love vintage Singers and have them ranging from 1907 to 1951. I also love the mid century colored machines. It just depends on what strikes my fancy on any given day.

mighty 03-20-2013 07:19 AM

I must admit I am a sucker for all of them!

Sideways 03-20-2013 08:05 AM

Sometimes when I see a machine I just have to have it. That's all there is to it. My Elvis (Avi) took my breathe away. It was like I was looking at a car.

SteveH 03-20-2013 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5940588)
I'd rate it as the equal of many Singers, and better than many others of it's time. I thought these were made by White as they use the same bobbin as many White machines do. Joe

Funny, Cathy (Mizkaki) said the same as to the quality of these machines. I have not sewn with it. The feet do look "white-ish"

Yeah, I need to find this one a new home soon.

J Miller 03-20-2013 09:47 AM

Steve,

IF:

A; I didn't have so many I can't walk through the house already
B; I'm 2,000 miles away
C; My spouse would clonk me in the noggin
D; I didn't already have one ( what's that got to do with anything ... right )

I'd take it off your hands. If only for the box of attachments. My machine don't have any.

Joe

J Miller 03-20-2013 09:51 AM

Steve,

I forgot to add; thread that machine up and try it. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how nice it sews.

frudemoo,

I've got Singers from the early 19-teens up to around 91 or so, but mostly in the mid 1900s. A couple New Homes, several Kenmores of various designs, and many Japanese machines.
There is treadles, cabinet electrics, portable electrics, and one poor hand crank 99K that doesn't have a home.

Too many to list individually.

Joe

SteveH 03-20-2013 10:06 AM

Joe, If nobody else shows interest I would gladly ship you the attachments box.

A. sounds like a "space utilization" issue not a "too many machines issue" hehe (are you sure we need a kitchen....??)
B. "2000 Miles" is no excuse... I am shipping and receiving whole treadle units these days....
C. Ok, this one is good.
D. as you pointed out, irrelevant! hehe