Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Husqvarna Husky 9000 sewing problem (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/husqvarna-husky-9000-sewing-problem-t178572.html)

Sandy-lou 02-08-2012 04:47 AM

Husqvarna Husky 9000 sewing problem

My friend has just taken possession of a Husky 9000, the machine looks in very good condition and had very little dust etc. The problem is that the thing will not sew as the top thread will not pick up the bottom thread to begin sewing. I have given it a good clean and oil and I have tried all the recomendations for tension in the manual both top and bottom threads. The needle was hitting the plate, that problem disapeared by putting a new needle in. I have a suspicion that the bobbin in it belongs to a singer so I have tried several others including plastic ones but the problem persists. I am hoping that someone on this board will have some advice on how to fix the problem, this is the first sewing machine problem that has me completely flumoxed.

Blessings to all,
Sandy

pinkberrykay 02-08-2012 05:53 AM

I will preface this by saying I know nothing about machines. However, I just picked up a vintage Singer 237 and I had this exact same problem. I figured out I had put the needle in the wrong way. Once it was in correctly she sewed beautifuly. Hopefully, the problem is a simple fix.

Originally Posted by Sandy-lou (Post 4954339)
My friend has just taken possession of a Husky 9000, the machine looks in very good condition and had very little dust etc. The problem is that the thing will not sew as the top thread will not pick up the bottom thread to begin sewing. I have given it a good clean and oil and I have tried all the recomendations for tension in the manual both top and bottom threads. The needle was hitting the plate, that problem disapeared by putting a new needle in. I have a suspicion that the bobbin in it belongs to a singer so I have tried several others including plastic ones but the problem persists. I am hoping that someone on this board will have some advice on how to fix the problem, this is the first sewing machine problem that has me completely flumoxed.

Blessings to all,
Sandy

Sandy-lou 02-08-2012 06:05 AM

no not that, needle is in correctly as per manual. Have double checked anyway, taken the needle out and reinserted, changed needles. Still not working.
thankyou pinkberrykay.

Sandy-lou 02-08-2012 07:46 AM

I think the problem is the hook timing, the hook is not catching the top thread, I will have to take the bottom off the machine and try adjusting it will let you know how I get on.

Candace 02-08-2012 07:49 AM

If you're not sure you have the correct bobbin in it, that could easily be the problem. You need to buy some bobbins made for this machine and go from there.

Yooper32 02-10-2012 04:39 AM

It could also be needle length. My old W&W had a different needle length and it was very difficult finding the correct needles for her. An old dime store had a big round tin with a dial and you turned the dial to get the correct bin to pluck out your needles which were in wooden tubes. Yes, I am ancient too. You are saying ...Whaaat? I think those are gone with the Zenith upright radios, but this was in the 50's.

Sandy-lou 02-10-2012 06:06 AM

yep have now have got correct bobbin and needle and it is definitely the timing have worked on it and improved things a bit butstill is not quite right as yet.
I am open to advice on how to line the hook timing up.
Have found some utube video wich is a help.

mjhaess 02-10-2012 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Sandy-lou (Post 4954339)

Blessings to all,
Sandy

I recently had the same problem with my old kenmore. My repair man told me there was a burr on the hook so it did not catch the thread. He ground it off and the machine works great now.....I am not an expert on machines but this may be something you could check. Good Luck.

BarbaraSue 02-10-2012 11:22 AM

If you have a manual, you can look at the oiling page, and it will tell you about the bobbin case, the rail and usually a pic of how this all goes together as well as where the oil goes.
I just purchased a White Rotary 1940's and it suggested that with the bobbin case out, place a small dot of oil on your fingertip and oil the case and the rail (inside where it fits). You might find that with just a touch of oil things will move better.

shelburn 02-11-2012 07:01 AM

I am watching this thread with great interest. I have acquired a Japanese sewing machine without any attachments or manual, so am in the dark as to all the workings. The threading seems easy, and the bobbin case seems to work freely, but the needle does not pick up the bobbin thread. I will have to clean out the thread from the bobbin that was in the machine and put new thread on it, as it is a snarly mess. there were two more bobbins with the machine but each one is a different size. I guess next step is to try each bobbin to see if one of them will work. Keep trying, Taz, and let me know how you fare. I will do the same! Good luck!