Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   I am amazed ... I really didn't think this one would ever sew again. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/i-am-amazed-i-really-didnt-think-one-would-ever-sew-again-t208696.html)

J Miller 12-18-2012 05:57 AM

I am amazed ... I really didn't think this one would ever sew again.

I've mentioned the Singer 127 I picked up a month or so back that was so incredibly filthy and gummed up with old oil, it took me a month of cleaning just to get it where I could think about test sewing with it.

Well last week I did the first test stitches and they were a disaster. Way too much top tension. There was no way I could make it sew, not even by cranking in more shuttle tension. Somewhere back in time someone had replaced the top tension beehive spring with one taller and made from thicker wire than the original. Even with the adjusting screw backed out till it was almost falling off there was so much tension the top thread just would not pass through the disks.
I took the spring out of my 66-1 and put it in the 127 which then sewed beautifully. ( Screwed up the 66 though, thought I'd never get the tension set back right ).

Yesterday I went to the LSMG and got a more proper spring. Oh what a difference. I put the machine in my test treadle and worked with it for a while. It took some time and sewing to fine tune the shuttle and top tension, but I got the machine to sew proper looking stitches with good tension now.

It's still just a well worn machine with signs of neglect and some rust pits but she'll sew nicely now. Now I need a treadle for her. No motor or hand crank, she deserves a treadle.

Joe

Tartan 12-18-2012 07:11 AM

Glad you could find a compatable spring for her. I live in dread of the tension spring ever going on my treadle because I don't know if I will be ever able to find a replacement. I treat it very gently but I think I will start looking before it is a necessity.

thepolyparrot 12-18-2012 08:34 AM

Here's a bunch of tensioner parts: http://www.ebay.com/itm/290748123256

$8 post paid to refurb the whole shebang - $5 if you just want the two springs, but new tension disks can make a huge difference. :)

He's a good seller, too.

J Miller 12-18-2012 09:50 AM

eBay is OK I guess, but nothing beats a local guy with boxes of bits and parts to did through.

Joe

DanofNJ 12-18-2012 07:04 PM

Joe, VERY satisfying indeed. Nothing like it when it all comes together and it starts to sew!

JudyTheSewer 12-18-2012 08:05 PM

A month of cleaning! My goodness - that is dedication. Congratulations on getting 'er to sew.

J Miller 12-19-2012 08:19 AM

Judy,

The first 10 days or so it sat with the underside soaking in kerosene. It didn't touch the old crud. After that I used some solvent with old tooth brushes then went to cotton balls, then in the end to denatured alcohol and q-tips. She's still a grungy looking old lady, but not because of the crud. She's just been used a lot in her almost 100 years of service.

During all this I was also doing other machines and sewing projects as well, so I wasn't cleaning 24-7 on this thing. Felt like it though.

Joe

JudyTheSewer 12-19-2012 10:30 AM

Joe,

Yeah, I suspected it wasn't a 24X7 effort - LOL. I assume you don't mind her used, grungy look. I really like my machines that have a lot of wear. They run very smooth and their battle scars just say to me that they were a loved, important part of a household. I do use them and plan on adding more wear and tear to them over the years. :-)

I hope you find her a treadle of her own soon!

Judy

J Miller 12-19-2012 11:31 AM

Judy,

I'm keeping my eyes open. ( Hoping for a free one :D )

Joe

Material Witness 12-19-2012 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5727018)
Yesterday I went to the LSMG and got a more proper spring.
Joe

Local Sewing Machine Garage?