Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   I have a lead on a Rocketeer...! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/i-have-lead-rocketeer-t195769.html)

Jennalyn 07-25-2012 08:16 PM

I have a lead on a Rocketeer...!

1 Attachment(s)
I've always thought that the Rocketeers were the coolest-looking machines and now I might have a chance to own one! I love Craigslist sometimes - it's how I found the estate sale with my Featherweight and now this pretty baby.

I keep bringing my FW to the office and then have to take her back home all the time whenever I want to sew at a friend's house. My Janome certainly isn't leaving the house except under special circumstances! So I've kind of wanted a machine I could leave at work, freeing up the FW for all the trips I make with her. And the only machine I really want right now is a gorgeous Singer 500A of my very own.

The seller lives about an hour and a half away, which I expected, and we're chatting via email. The machine belonged to her mother and comes with a few accessories, as well as a sewn cover that her mother made for the machine. It was her go-to workhorse for many years and she wanted it to go to a home where it would be used and loved. Needs a little bit of servicing, but nothing major.

Fingers crossed?

(The top piece is missing in the picture, but the machine does have it - she'd just misplaced it at the time and found it again later.)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]351537[/ATTACH]

Charlee 07-25-2012 09:12 PM

Good luck Jennalyn!! I love mine...they're fun machines! :) Will keep my fingers crossed for you!

AuntieD 07-26-2012 04:51 PM

Hope you get this fantastic looking machine!

Jingle 07-26-2012 05:46 PM

It looks great, I'm sure you will enjoy it. Good luck.

annthreecats 07-27-2012 04:47 AM

Oh, you lucky dog. I hope you get that machine. I love Rocketeers. I have it on my "to get" list.

I just was gifted a Singer Spartan this morning by a co-worker. She told me months ago that she had a machine in her closet, so today she brought it with her to work and asked me if I wanted it. It's free, of course I want it.

Carol Jean 07-27-2012 04:53 PM

Rocketeer

Originally Posted by Jennalyn (Post 5394867)
I've always thought that the Rocketeers were the coolest-looking machines and now I might have a chance to own one! I love Craigslist sometimes - it's how I found the estate sale with my Featherweight and now this pretty baby.

I keep bringing my FW to the office and then have to take her back home all the time whenever I want to sew at a friend's house. My Janome certainly isn't leaving the house except under special circumstances! So I've kind of wanted a machine I could leave at work, freeing up the FW for all the trips I make with her. And the only machine I really want right now is a gorgeous Singer 500A of my very own.

The seller lives about an hour and a half away, which I expected, and we're chatting via email. The machine belonged to her mother and comes with a few accessories, as well as a sewn cover that her mother made for the machine. It was her go-to workhorse for many years and she wanted it to go to a home where it would be used and loved. Needs a little bit of servicing, but nothing major.

Fingers crossed?

(The top piece is missing in the picture, but the machine does have it - she'd just misplaced it at the time and found it again later.)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]351537[/ATTACH]

You will love this machine. I have one and it sews so nice. It has a belt with metal clets in it and is really built to last. I am so happy for you. Good luck and enjoy. Smiles!

Jennalyn 08-03-2012 09:36 AM

Tomorrow, tomorrow, I think I get her tomorrow!!! The seller's husband is planning on a trip over the bridge that leads right past our house tomorrow morning, so she's going to try and arrange for him to meet with me in a local shopping area for an exchange.

Of course, this is the week before payday and I now have an unexpected vet trip to make tomorrow afternoon, but still! Worth it. :D

miriam 08-03-2012 10:01 AM

There is no belt of any sort on those Singer 500s. Even if you don't have the top plate it will work just fine. It might even be a good idea to take the top plate off for safe keeping. There are certain places on those machines that gum up with oil. They will need a good cleaning.

lovelyl 08-06-2012 11:57 AM

So, did you get her?

Jennalyn 08-06-2012 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by lovelyl (Post 5422123)
So, did you get her?

Yes indeed I did! I was out of the area yesterday, but Mom went and picked her up locally as the seller's husband was driving through the island and had the machine in tow. I'll be giving her a good looking-over tonight, since I got home too late last night.

She's absolutely lovely...!