Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   I'm getting a Singer treadle!!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/im-getting-singer-treadle-t218693.html)

NikkiLu 04-09-2013 02:15 PM

I'm getting a Singer treadle!!!!!

Was at a family get-together with my 90yr old mother on Sat. and we saw an old Singer in a cutsie dress shop as a decoration and it made me think that many years ago, I learned to sew on a treadle. So, I asked my Mom what happened to that old machine - I just figured that it got traded in on a newer sewing machine or, horror, my dad was really into selling scrap metal at that time. I almost fainted when she said that it was still in her basement!!!!! Mind you - my bedroom was in that basement for years and I never saw it. She said something about plants being on it - so that would have to be in the unfinished part of the basement where the windows are. But, sadly, we could not go back to her house that day but she said I could have it next time we went to St. Louis )175 miles from here). We might have to make a detour on our way back home from Paducah in a couple of weeks. I cannot wait to see what it looks like, etc. She also said that she has several machines in cabinets upstairs in her breezeway that I can look at. She said that she will also ask my cousin what happened to my Aunt's machine - WOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Quilt Novice 04-09-2013 02:19 PM

Lucky you!!

barny 04-09-2013 02:23 PM

Wow, you have hit the jackpot! I hope you have fun looking at all of them.

NJ Quilter 04-09-2013 02:25 PM

Sounds like you might need a larger vehicle for your road trip! Congrats on your treadle score.

SteveH 04-09-2013 02:38 PM

Fantastic, you are so fortunate to be able to have your family machines! Good luck!

Glenda m 04-09-2013 03:16 PM

Please let us know what all you end up with. LOL

mighty 04-10-2013 06:24 AM

Awesome!!!!!!!

J Miller 04-10-2013 07:52 AM

NikkiLu,

That is one trip I'd be looking forward to. Oh and be forwarned, the moisture from the plants could maybe have done damage to the cabinet. They can be fixed though. I know, I did it. Lots of work, but worth it.

Joe

oldtnquiltinglady 04-11-2013 08:29 AM

Oh boy, me too, Nikkilu. Lucky, lucky, lucky you. And maybe someone above is right about traveling to Paducah in a bigger vehicle....

NikkiLu 04-11-2013 09:13 AM

Curiosity got the better of me and I just called my mom and asked her where the machine came from and this is what she said:

It came from my grandmother!!!!!

Just cannot believe this - in tears now! It is not holding plants but it is underneath the basement stairs and is holding Christmas decorations. My DH is also very excited because he remembers his mother sewing on a treadle and he "helped" her as a small boy - they did not get electricity until he was a teenager.