Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   I'm giving my Grand kids an early inheritance. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/im-giving-my-grand-kids-early-inheritance-t226908.html)

miriam 07-30-2013 11:31 AM

I'm giving my Grand kids an early inheritance.

1 Attachment(s)
Today two of my DGKs came over. It was nice out so we went out back with tools and machines. Wilbur sat on my lap and we worked on a derelict Singer 15 - the machine had no moving parts. The machine has been cleaned and oiled but still does not turn. I told Wilbur the machine needs time out. He understands time out. He got off my lap and headed for a Singer 66. It needs oil... he got a can of oil and baptized the needle bar. The next time he turned the machine oil was flinging all over the place and some shot up out of the needle bar pocket about 3 ft. I reminded him we only use one drop on each part... He doesn't seem to get that yet. He will be 4 in November.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]427170[/ATTACH]

miriam 07-30-2013 11:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Miss L has been cleaning up machines in my shop for about a year now. She loves to clean out lint and polish things up. Today she cleaned, oiled and polished a little Singer 99. At one point she pulled a big long thread out from the bobbin case . Then I told her to see if the machine turned now. Suddenly her efforts were rewarded! The machine now turns and the pressure foot now goes up and down, too. She gave the machine one of her best hugs. I love it. GKs rock.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]427171[/ATTACH]

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 07-30-2013 11:40 AM

I might need her to visit me. I hate machine cleaning.

nanna-up-north 07-30-2013 01:15 PM

They are too cute, Miriam. I don't get to see my grandkids very often. They are 1500 miles away. The DGD brought her family for a vacation with us around the 4th of July and I thought the 11 yr old GGD would like to sew a little. She did the paper, sewing on lines, etc. But, alas, I think the swimming, fishing and 4-wheeling was way more fun. Maybe next year she will have a little more desire for the machine. And the 4 yr old..... she's too busy........

miriam 07-30-2013 01:26 PM

I didn't have such good luck with 8 year old Mercy. I figured she could be on her own. I set her up with that Singer 66 redeye with a turn knob. She didn't think she had enough Grandma time I guess. She went off in a pout. I had Wilbur on my lap and Lovie was 'getting it' so I let her go off. We had a talk later and she should be ok for another time. She did get pretty creative with a piece of card paper and the 66. Mercy has some vision problems and is not quite ready for sewing with speed. I was amazed at the control she got when she used the hand crank though. I think she might be ready for thread next time - but I sure don't need a 3 ring circus then either.

Sheluma 07-30-2013 06:04 PM

They are adorable!

Sideways 07-30-2013 07:41 PM

Your grandbabies are beautiful Miriam!!!

cathyvv 07-30-2013 08:06 PM

It's wonderful that you let him help you with maintaining the sewing machines. Kids build confidence by 'helping' and learning. I tell my grands that you can never learn too much and involve them with stuff I'm doing whenever possible.

trivia42 07-30-2013 08:53 PM

I love the hardhat! Powertools with thread, as my guy sewers say in the shop!

manicmike 07-30-2013 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 6205543)
GKs rock.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]427171[/ATTACH]

From what I'm seeing here they do. Would it kill her to rest her head on it too? :D