Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Issue with screw that came with thread guide (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/issue-screw-came-thread-guide-t169171.html)

Nanamoms 11-20-2011 01:23 PM

Issue with screw that came with thread guide

I am playing with my 301A and was trying to put on the thread guide. The screw that came with the guide does not seem to fit the holes. It appears too big and won't screw in. I also tried the same thread guide on my FW and it would not work either. Aren't they suppose to be interchangeable and why won't it work...other than the obvious that the screw is too large???

Also I saw a photo where a red felt thread "thingy" (don't you just love my technical term?) was used with the screw and thread guide. Is this just to protect the finish or does it serve a vital purpose???

TIA for help!!
Carolyn

PS: Like this font...easier to read! It is Franklin.

miriam 11-20-2011 02:39 PM

some times you have to jiggle around with those, hold your mouth just right, say a few prayers and keep trying. You are sure it is the same screw you took off?

Candace 11-20-2011 02:44 PM

It's very possible this thread guide does NOT go with the machine. I've received many attachments with vintage machines that don't go with the machine. Whoever is clearing out grannies just sticks everything in the box that they find that's sewing related....it doesn't fit either the FW or 301 because it fits a different machine, probably. The felt guide would protect the finish from scratching.

You really shouldn't need a seam guide on the 301.

miriam 11-21-2011 03:44 AM

Just to be sure we are talking about the same part, could you shoot a pic and point at it with a pencil? As you can see, there could be any number of parts and any number of answers.

heart of Dixie 11-21-2011 07:04 AM

When I bought my three singer featherweights I couldn't get the thread guild to thread in either. My hubby said they just have dirt in them and used a tread tap to clean the thread hole. Now the screw in perfect. The screws arn't to big the hole just has a small amount of dirt or dust in them. Hope this helps

miriam 11-21-2011 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by heart of Dixie (Post 4705288)
When I bought my three singer featherweights I couldn't get the thread guild to thread in either. My hubby said they just have dirt in them and used a tread tap to clean the thread hole. Now the screw in perfect. The screws arn't to big the hole just has a small amount of dirt or dust in them. Hope this helps

a little Tri-flo on a pipe cleaner might clean that hole out a bit.

Nanamoms 11-21-2011 01:35 PM

Thanks for the suggestions about cleaning out the holes. I'll give that a try. If that doesn't work, I will post a picture of the screw and thread guide.

patdesign 11-21-2011 03:26 PM

NO THEY ARE NOT INTERCHANGEABLE! The problem is this, Many of the thread guides come from older machines, and the screws will not fit the smaller holes on the featherweight or the 301 or several others. The screws are out there, the last time I wanted some I took my featherweight to the store and had him screw some screws in to the hole till we found a few that would fit. Don't force the screw as it will ruin the hole for the feed dog cover plate for the buttonhole or darning plate.The red felt is a spool pin felt, and it might help protect the finish of the bed, but I have never done it. I own about 20 vintage machines, all Singer, and when I have sold them I have always been careful to make sure that the screws all fit.:)

miriam 11-21-2011 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms (Post 4706720)
Thanks for the suggestions about cleaning out the holes. I'll give that a try. If that doesn't work, I will post a picture of the screw and thread guide.

Did the old screw come off it in the first place or was it off another machine or a screw from another part of the machine. Let us know if you got it to go in. You don't want it forced in and you don't need to re-tap the hole.

SunlitenSmiles 11-22-2011 04:26 AM

how do you change the font

my 301A did not come with a thread guide the etched lines on the plate are accurate.....the only thread guide with a screw that i have seen came with my DD toy singer in 1962 hope you are not trying to enter the screw into one of the oiling spots