Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   I've fallen in love.... (301a) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/ive-fallen-love-301a-t243831.html)

ThayerRags 03-24-2014 02:49 PM

I think you’re right Miriam. It doesn’t make sense to repaint one that hasn’t been used. But one that’s been used lovingly day and night, and night and day, producing ever so pleasing stitches that the owner couldn’t help but notice were oh so consistently nice, might show some wear from all of the light touches, gentle pats, and heart-felt hugs that the user MUST have given to such a wonderful machine. Yep, it’s been there and done that, has a little wear, but only well broken-in, and probably had the scars to show for it. Still, never complaining, I’ll bet it just kept on sewing and sewing, and making someone’s heart fill with glee. You don’t see many of that kind of machine in a lifetime......and it’s now a brilliant blue.

CD in Oklahoma

miriam 03-24-2014 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags (Post 6642867)
I think you’re right Miriam. It doesn’t make sense to repaint one that hasn’t been used. But one that’s been used lovingly day and night, and night and day, producing ever so pleasing stitches that the owner couldn’t help but notice were oh so consistently nice, might show some wear from all of the light touches, gentle pats, and heart-felt hugs that the user MUST have given to such a wonderful machine. Yep, it’s been there and done that, has a little wear, but only well broken-in, and probably had the scars to show for it. Still, never complaining, I’ll bet it just kept on sewing and sewing, and making someone’s heart fill with glee. You don’t see many of that kind of machine in a lifetime......and it’s now a brilliant blue.

CD in Oklahoma

I have one that was used and used and used - it just wants to be used some more. Does painting it erase all the merit badges?

tessagin 03-24-2014 03:11 PM

If you have the money and realllllllyyyyy like it, go for it. You'll be ill with regret if you don't. No one wants an ill seamstress/quilter. Me(?) the price would make me pass and ill with regret that I couldn't afford it. You go girl!

miriam 03-24-2014 03:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Which one do you think would be the fastest machine?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]468827[/ATTACH]
OR
[ATTACH=CONFIG]468828[/ATTACH]

Candace 03-24-2014 03:15 PM

Hmm. Well, the two, two-toned machines I own tend to have speedier or stronger motors than any of the other 301's I've owned. And I've owned quite a few . I don't know exactly why, other than they are newer machines than most of the blacks and mochas.

ThayerRags 03-24-2014 03:41 PM

What about the blue ones? Aren't they the fastest and bestest ever?

CD in Oklahoma

mlmack 03-24-2014 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 6642840)
Most of the ones with the shabby paint work the best - maybe they painted it because it was worn.

That seller has a whole rainbow of painted 301s and Featherweights on eBay, so either they found a bunch of shabby ones, or they just decided to go Etsy on them, regardless of the condition of the original finish.

Macybaby 03-24-2014 04:09 PM

it's a bit hard to do the first time or two, but it gets easier the more you get LOL!!

lots2do 03-24-2014 04:18 PM

Ah, lovely color! What are you going to do?

liking quilting 03-24-2014 04:51 PM

Oh, you know if you buy it we'll all be really jealous (and very happy for you)! It will be a one-of-a kind and I can attest the 301A's are SUPER machines. The one I have up north at the lake could have used a re-paint job, but I didn't do it. I also have Dad-in-law who would be top notch at doing that kind of work -- he's restored, refinished, and repainted quite a few classic cars & trucks. I still didn't ask him to do it. Didn't feel I should impose, I guess.