Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   The Jean's Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/jeans-machine-t183715.html)

Deanne 03-22-2012 03:35 PM

The Jean's Machine

Hi all, I received one of the above named machines from my MIL. It ran really nicely, (a bit noisy but nice stitches) but all of a sudden, it started squealing! I tried to make sure I oiled it but it still squealed. There are some gears right in the middle of the Harp area. they are hard plastic. Is this machine worth taking to a repairman? I have tried oiling the gears also. I did sew for about 5 minutes last weekend and it didn't squeal. Does anyone have any experience with this machine (not sure the age)

ckcowl 03-22-2012 03:38 PM

any machine that works- that has a nice stitch- that you like---is worth taking into a shop and having serviced.
you can get an estimate of repair costs then decide if you want to put that much into it or not- could just need a good cleaning---if you like the machine it's worth having checked out.

Charlee 03-22-2012 03:42 PM

I agree with ckcowl, and will add that you don't want to oil gears, use Singer lubricant on them, or vaseline. :)

Bennett 03-22-2012 04:10 PM

If it's a White, there should be a little plate on the back that has the model number. I just picked up a model 1099 Jeans Machine a couple of weeks ago. I think it was made in the early 1980s. It looked like there were some gears beneath the hard plastic "cams" that had lubricant on them, just as Charlee said. They are kind of hard to see because of where they are located. Worth a shot to oil and lubricate to see if that helps!

Morag 03-22-2012 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Deanne (Post 5082785)
Hi all, I received one of the above named machines from my MIL. It ran really nicely, (a bit noisy but nice stitches) but all of a sudden, it started squealing! I tried to make sure I oiled it but it still squealed. There are some gears right in the middle of the Harp area. they are hard plastic. Is this machine worth taking to a repairman? I have tried oiling the gears also. I did sew for about 5 minutes last weekend and it didn't squeal. Does anyone have any experience with this machine (not sure the age)

Hi there, I have a Jean Machine and it is a work horse. My daughter bought it for me in 1998 from Hancock fabrics when they had there Christmas sale. It has never given me a bit of trouble, the stitches are perfect and it sews heavy material very well.
I believe it would be worth having serviced :)

Deanne 03-26-2012 12:50 PM

Thank you all so much for your replies! I have decided to bring it in to my repairman! I just hope I haven't ruined it by lubricating it. I did use sewing machine oil. I do feel like it is a real workhorse for me. Thanks again!