Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Joining the Vintage Club! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/joining-vintage-club-t183268.html)

Divokittysmom 03-18-2012 02:47 PM

Joining the Vintage Club!

3 Attachment(s)
I am really not sure why I haven't joined the Vintage club before,as I have been here over a year!! I must admit to being somewhat obsessed (actually totally obsessed), with finding a Featherweight.. so much so that I didn't think about posting one of my most beloved treasures!!! :D
Soooo I decided today was the day to showcase my beloved Gram's 1924 Singer Treadle machine that was given to me by my mother in the late 1990's.... bless her heart!!! It's a Model 66 set in her original cabinet. My Gram bought her 2nd hand in about 1926 or 27 as close as my mom can remember. I know she looks pretty rough as cleaning wasn't one of the things Grandma worried about, she was too busy sewing!! The cabinet has some light stains where Gram would set her hot cup of coffee, but those are memories for me! This machine means sooooo much to me because every time I look at it I see my beloved grandmother sitting there sewing away, happy as can be! Today,"Mary" named after my gram, proudly sits in my sewing room! Grandma made her entire wardrobe every year on this treadle. She made everything from Lingerie to Leisure Suits and everything in between!! She didn't need or want any other machine her entire life!! She was a whiz at sewing and an incredible Seamstress! Nothing ever stopped her from creating the most beautiful clothing and all without fancy stitches!! She loved her machine so much, and I am so deeply appreciative that I have it now and love it just as much!!
My uncle put a light and motor on it in the 70's or so, Gram didn't want any of it, but he insisted. The first thing I did when I got her was have my hubby take off that darned ol' motor and light. I am positive I heard a sigh of happiness from my Gram from up in heaven! lol
I am interested in getting the machine cleaned up as much as possible. I know there are tutorials here on how to accomplish that. I have done quite a bit of research on my precious little treadle and have printed out everything, I plan to make a little book of information on it.
As you can see from the photos I have the original manual and quite a few different feet for her and tons of bobbins. I even have an oil can which isn't shown.
If you look at my Avatar you will see that one of my kitties (R.I.P) loved sitting right in the middle of the machine... as my grandmother hated cats.. I am sure she was looking down very disapprovingly!! lol..
I hope you enjoy the pics!

carolaug 03-18-2012 02:52 PM

Very nice, such a treasure! I have that same table, and with Singer 66 inside, but a redeye. I wish it was my grandmothers..I bought mine a month ago at a consignment shop. I just love her!

Divokittysmom 03-18-2012 03:22 PM

A Red Eye is one very beautiful machine!!! These old machines are soooo very easy to love!!

mighty 03-18-2012 05:54 PM

Really beautiful!!!!

miriam 03-18-2012 08:13 PM

What great memories!!! Follow Muv's tutorials unless you are planning to send it out for repaint - the videos are on the sticky at the top of the Vintage & Antique machine Enthusiasts section. Nice machine - you can't buy a new one that will sew that consistently and last out the next 100 years - use and enjoy.

Charlee 03-18-2012 08:36 PM

I love your story behind your machine!! How lucky you are to have a family machine, and such a nice one at that! :)

cabbagepatchkid 03-19-2012 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 5072125)
I love your story behind your machine!! How lucky you are to have a family machine, and such a nice one at that! :)

I love your story, too! Check out Treadle Lady's website:

http://treadlelady.com/

She has some great YouTube videos.

sewnbug 03-19-2012 06:45 AM

What a treasure to have your grandmother's treadle. I had my great grandmother's Red Eye, but have let my daughter take it. It's just a showpiece at her house.

Divokittysmom 03-19-2012 10:55 AM

Thanks for all the great websites to follow and the welcome! That machine is totally precious to me for sure!! I am planning on polishing her up myself, or maybe a good project for my hubby... He would like to refinish the cabinet also, afraid it got a bit too much sunshine here in OR....yes we do have nice sunny, dry spots in OR. contrary to popular belief! lol

solstice3 03-20-2012 06:47 AM

Got to love those treadles. I have one that has a box made to cover it as it can not fold down. Need to research it one day soon