Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Looking for cabinet restorer (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/looking-cabinet-restorer-t171613.html)

Alex J 12-10-2011 01:17 PM

Looking for cabinet restorer

3 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone,
I am looking for someone who can restore this cabinet

I'm in Connecticut but I can travel to New York. NJ and also East TN. anyone knows of someone who can be trusted and will do a great job???
Thanks for your replies.
AlexJ

dublb 12-10-2011 10:23 PM

I hope ya find someone to help with this lovely cabinet. This is something my Grandad would have loved to do when he was alive. Makes me wish I'd learned more when he was here. Good luck.

quiltingcandy 12-10-2011 10:27 PM

You might want to call your insurance company that has your homeowners insurance. When I worked for Chubb & Son, I had a whole list of professionals in the various areas to call. When a friend of mine had her antique oak table damaged I was able to put her in touch with my favorite wood worker. Unfortunately, we are in Southern California and that won't do you any good.

Jean in Ohio13452 12-11-2011 05:44 AM

Here in Ohio we have some really talented woodworkers among the Amish.
Contact a local Vocational Tech school/ Highschool Wood Shop Class - maybe the Teacher would like to take on the project with his class...?? I have seen some really excellent work done by High School Students... My brother made a Grandmother's tall Clock when he was in wood shop in School in Walnut.
Also contact local Upholstery or Antique shops -They might know someone... Good Luck and what a nice machine.

maryp 12-11-2011 06:40 AM

beautiful machine

BarbM32 12-11-2011 07:07 AM

If you do not find anyone I can tell you how to do it yourself. Depending on how much of your own effort you put into it then it can look professional when it is done.

NJ Quilter 12-11-2011 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Jean in Ohio13452 (Post 4771116)
Here in Ohio we have some really talented woodworkers among the Amish.
Contact a local Vocational Tech school/ Highschool Wood Shop Class - maybe the Teacher would like to take on the project with his class...?? I have seen some really excellent work done by High School Students... My brother made a Grandmother's tall Clock when he was in wood shop in School in Walnut.
Also contact local Upholstery or Antique shops -They might know someone... Good Luck and what a nice machine.

I was going to suggest the local vo tech school as well. A friend of ours runs the wood shop for a local 'reform' school. They did mine and did an incredible job.

Evie 12-11-2011 08:26 AM

The cabinet is just like the one I have, but yours looks as if it's been painted! Mine (original Singer cabinet) is kind of a light mottled golden brown.

Rann 12-11-2011 09:48 AM

I have the same exact cabinet and it is a beautiful oak. It was like that when I bought it. Good luck.

jacqstash 12-12-2011 08:20 AM

Cabinet Restoration

Originally Posted by Alex J (Post 4769388)
Hello everyone,
I am looking for someone who can restore this cabinet

I'm in Connecticut but I can travel to New York. NJ and also East TN. anyone knows of someone who can be trusted and will do a great job???
Thanks for your replies.
AlexJ

Hi Alex,

You did not mention travelling to MA, but there is a place in Lowell, MA that does furniture restoration and may be worth looking into. I had an old chair that belonged to my grandmother (passed in 1959, so chair is old), and they did a wonderful job refinishing it. It did not have any damage to it, just needed a good refinishing. The "store" is in an old mill in the city, does not look like a store - just an entrance into the mill, but they do great work! I did not find a web site for them.

Merrimack Furniture and Antique Restoration
774 Dutton St.
Lowell, MA
978-454-0025

Good Luck,
Jackie