Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Looking for help for a Deployed Soldier (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/looking-help-deployed-soldier-t220298.html)

SteveH 04-29-2013 11:35 AM

Looking for help for a Deployed Soldier

1 Attachment(s)
Hey folks,

One of my students has just arrived "somewhere" in Afghanistan. One of his first emails to me was a request for a small hand-cranked sewing machine to be shipped to him. He has been there less that two weeks and his uniforms are already getting beat up. They are in a remote location....
[ATTACH=CONFIG]410678[/ATTACH]

The only ones I have in that category are a 1908 Singer 28 and a 1911 Singer 128. NOT what he needs.

I am NOT looking for a freebie, I am trying to figure out which machine to acquire, that would be the best blend of SMALL, relatively easy to maintain, and not "persnickety" machine. (NOT a featherweight, TOO expensive and I have been told (NO experience) that they are touchy to maintain)

Thanks in advance.
Steve

Tartan 04-29-2013 12:05 PM

Someone posted a site a while back on knock off hand cranks made in India? I wonder how much they are and since they would already be on the continent, cheaper than shipping from the US?

Mizkaki 04-29-2013 12:41 PM

Steve,

What about a Singer 99 Hand crank?

Cathy

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 6034227)
Hey folks,

One of my students has just arrived "somewhere" in Afghanistan. One of his first emails to me was a request for a small hand-cranked sewing machine to be shipped to him. He has been there less that two weeks and his uniforms are already getting beat up. They are in a remote location....

The only ones I have in that category are a 1908 Singer 28 and a 1911 Singer 128. NOT what he needs.

I am NOT looking for a freebie, I am trying to figure out which machine to acquire, that would be the best blend of SMALL, relatively easy to maintain, and not "persnickety" machine. (NOT a featherweight, TOO expensive and I have been told (NO experience) that they are touchy to maintain)

Thanks in advance.
Steve

SteveH 04-29-2013 01:17 PM

A hand Cranked 99 would be perfect! Know anyone who has one? hehe

I will look into the India machines, interesting thought on the shipping element.

NJ Quilter 04-30-2013 04:48 AM

Try looking on http://www.shopgoodwill.com. I've seen a few hand crank machines there. Might have what you're looking for.

girliegirl 04-30-2013 04:59 AM

Steve, I will gladly help you with $$ .... pm me your address... can you convert a machine with a homemade crank?

girliegirl 04-30-2013 05:13 AM

i will can my singer guy!

susansomethings 04-30-2013 05:25 AM

It is such a sad thing...my SIL just got out of the army. His uniforms were constantly ripping. My daughter spent more time mending them. I don't know who made the decision for the fabric they are using to make them, it is cheap & poor quality, sad very sad!!! Wish I could help...but don't have one.

SteveH 04-30-2013 07:33 AM

so, it turns out that it is ok to say where he is in that photo.

It is overlooking Bäk, Khost Province Afghanistan.

GirlieGirl: you rock! I think we can get it done from this end but should the need arise, I will remember your offer!

I actually have the two old singers and I am pretty sure that the hand-cranks from those would work on a 99.

My daughter overheard me mentioning converting a 99 to handcrank and shipping it to my student overseas and she though I was referring to the new 99 she just bought from Cathy/Mizkaki! hehe she was not amused!!
(Cathy - after completing her first project on her new 99k she is in love with it and wants to sell the Riccar ZZ...)

Thanks everyone for the input. I e-mailed him about this thread and it really seemed to give him a lift that folks cared enough to help. he replied "tell them I said I really appreciate this! The whole unit will appreciate it. I'll probably end up the units "stitch bitch" (sorry, his words... I'm working on civilizing him... I replied to him that the word is "tailor")

Just out of curiosity, I asked him how many troops in his unit could run a sewing machine. Still awaiting a reply.

Glenda m 04-30-2013 11:31 AM

Good luck with your project. Let us know if we can help in anyway.