Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Looking at a sewing machine - need some input (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/looking-sewing-machine-need-some-input-t100603.html)

Suzi 02-17-2011 12:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This machine is a 110 year old treadle with all the paperwork intact. It has the name "Arlington" decaled on it and looks to be in very good shape. Asking price is $100 and I'm to see it tomorrow morning. I looked it up online and could only come up with the Arlington Company who sells sewing machines but does not manufacture. Does anyone know anything at all about these machines? Will try to enclose a picture ..........

leaha 02-17-2011 12:04 PM

looks great to me!

Prism99 02-17-2011 12:06 PM

I'd pay $100 for that machine; the cabinet is in excellent condition! It's possible that this is a Singer machine and Arlington was just how it was badged. (For example, Sears Kenmore are simply re-badged Janome machines.)

Raggiemom 02-17-2011 12:07 PM

I don't know anything about that particular machine but it looks beautiful. I would pay $100 for it, appears to be in decent condition.

dar627742 02-17-2011 12:23 PM

wow! the last thing i need is another sewing machine,but i;d buy it in a n.y.minute,[whatever that is]if for no other reason than the cabinet!.
great find,dar

susie-susie-susie 02-17-2011 12:25 PM

I would buy it for $100 even if it didn't work. It is beautiful and I would use it for decoration, just to look at.
Sue

Happy Treadler 02-17-2011 12:26 PM

The irons (wrought iron part) look very similar to my old 1893 Standard treadle (made by Singer), and so does the 'body style'. I got mine for $30 with attachments off of Craigslist. Is the Seller flexible at all? Doesn't hurt to ask! The machine & cabinet look to be in decent shape. :)

dltaylor 02-17-2011 12:43 PM

The cabinet itself is beautiful.

Lostn51 02-17-2011 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
The irons (wrought iron part) look very similar to my old 1893 Standard treadle (made by Singer), and so does the 'body style'. I got mine for $30 with attachments off of Craigslist. Is the Seller flexible at all? Doesn't hurt to ask! The machine & cabinet look to be in decent shape. :)

Standard was its own company and was not affiliated with Singer at all. It was bought out by Singer in the 1930's but until then it was its own company.

Billy

Happy Treadler 02-17-2011 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler

Standard was its own company and was not affiliated with Singer at all. It was bought out by Singer in the 1930's but until then it was its own company.

Billy

Sorry, I knew that. It went from Standard to Singer. I wonder if that's what happened to many of the little companies who tried to compete with them. The neat thing about my old standard is that it runs BACKWARDS compared to a normal sewing machine. It also has an attachment called a spider to allow it to chainstitch. Pretty cool. LOVE these old machines. :) They just don't make them like they used to.