Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Machine Pricing Adjusted for Inflation? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/machine-pricing-adjusted-inflation-t230464.html)

manicmike 09-18-2013 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Janis (Post 6302158)
The 'trade ins' would be destroyed so they couldn't be resold, and a person wanting a sewing machine would have to buy a new one instead.

A guy that works in my local place said that too. He recalled the procedure for destroying them, too. Urgh! Described some of them as "like new". The stuff of nightmares for us, and I can't un-hear it :thumbdown:

Vridar 09-19-2013 04:32 AM

Horror Movie Theme

Originally Posted by manicmike (Post 6302160)
A guy that works in my local place said that too. He recalled the procedure for destroying them, too. Urgh! Described some of them as "like new". The stuff of nightmares for us, and I can't un-hear it :thumbdown:

Now I can't "unhear" that! I can only imagine the machines being destroyed. Some that I'm not even aware of. It makes for a great Horror Movie Theme.:cool:

manicmike 09-19-2013 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Vridar (Post 6302328)
Now I can't "unhear" that! I can only imagine the machines being destroyed. Some that I'm not even aware of. It makes for a great Horror Movie Theme.:cool:

I didn't describe the procedure! Don't ask and you still have a chance to avoid the nightmares.

Cecilia S. 09-19-2013 05:24 AM

Great Gobs.

Acid and fire?

Now I am curious.

Or maybe beige spraypaint.

:-)

Vridar 09-19-2013 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Cecilia S. (Post 6302459)
Great Gobs.

Acid and fire?

Now I am curious.

Or maybe beige spraypaint.

:-)

Mocha or beige spray paint is worse than my imagination of monsters with sledge hammers ;-)

Cecilia S. 09-19-2013 05:42 AM

Mocha
Cappuccino
Ecru
Champagne
Portobello
Sand

All just polite words for beige.

manicmike 09-19-2013 05:50 AM

OK, since you insisted. Three men had to be there: One did the machine in with a sledgehammer, and the other two had to watch. All three of them signed the order as destroyer and witnesses (as mentioned the destruction was so the machines could never be re-sold).
He said that while he worked for Singer he saw thousands of serviceable sewing machines get whacked.

Cecilia S. 09-19-2013 05:52 AM

Suddenly my warm and fuzzy feelings for Singer are fading, fading... to a sort of sickly beige.

mlmack 09-19-2013 06:06 AM

So they literally destroyed the competition.

Vridar 09-19-2013 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Cecilia S. (Post 6302511)
Mocha
Cappuccino
Ecru
Champagne
Portobello
Sand

All just polite words for beige.

Beige spray paint sounds even worse. They tried to soften the Black to beige transition by calling it Mocha. Beige by any other name...;-)

Isn't it amazing where these threads take us?