Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   "Machine works and is in good condition" ,... really? Inspection List (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/machine-works-good-condition-really-inspection-list-t222097.html)

linda faye 05-24-2013 09:05 AM

Such great advice from everyone. I remember advice from long ago which is still relevant today: Buyer Beware.

mlmack 05-24-2013 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by linda faye (Post 6082811)
Such great advice from everyone. I remember advice from long ago which is still relevant today: Buyer Beware.

I'd say it is even more relevant today.

ArchaicArcane 05-24-2013 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin (Post 6081926)
A guy that knows my DH wanted to know if I wanted to purchase a machine his sister had. Same words, worked and in good condition. When it comes to any kind of purchase, DH always asks, "Well does it work NOW and what is it's "CONDITION NOW". The guy wanted $500.00 because it was an antique. Right off the bat NO. It was a mess. Not at this time or any other time. We also don't buy anything sight unseen.

That's definitely good practice. I don't know why I suspended my judgement for this particular set of machines. I'm usually quite careful. The only thing I can think of is that the machines came in under my "squeamish" threshold. But I did have a niggling feeling that I shouldn't be getting the one machine, and I was right.

Originally Posted by linda faye (Post 6082811)

Too true. And as mlmack says, more so today. It's a shame really that we can't just trust one another, but some people make it so hard to.

miriam 05-26-2013 06:52 PM

I've been fooled a few times by machines that look really nice like they haven't been used. There is usually something wrong with a really nice looking machine. Go figure.

ArchaicArcane 05-26-2013 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 6086984)
I've been fooled a few times by machines that look really nice like they haven't been used. There is usually something wrong with a really nice looking machine. Go figure.

Aww, don't tell me that! I haven't dug into the 201-2 from last week yet. I don't want any more character building machines for a week or two. ;) Between this Pfaff and the Bernina, I've done all the character building I can handle for a month or so.

Mizkaki 05-26-2013 10:11 PM

Tammi,

I really like your term: 'character building machines'. I will use that one. :thumbup:

Cathy

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane (Post 6087184)
Aww, don't tell me that! I haven't dug into the 201-2 from last week yet. I don't want any more character building machines for a week or two. ;) Between this Pfaff and the Bernina, I've done all the character building I can handle for a month or so.

ArchaicArcane 05-27-2013 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki (Post 6087191)
Tammi,

I really like your term: 'character building machines'. I will use that one. :thumbup:

Cathy

Thanks Cathy. That's not what I always called them, but I'm evolving.;)

miriam 05-28-2013 03:12 AM

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/fuo/3833307568.html

Ccorazone 05-28-2013 08:12 AM

I have an invertor, which I plug into my lighter socket in my car. It converts DC current to AC current and I can test if the machine runs if I have to meet at a half way location for a viewing. It has a plug in socket just like in your house, so just plug and test.

ArchaicArcane 05-28-2013 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Ccorazone (Post 6090058)
I have an invertor, which I plug into my lighter socket in my car. It converts DC current to AC current and I can test if the machine runs if I have to meet at a half way location for a viewing. It has a plug in socket just like in your house, so just plug and test.

Those are great! I use one on the road to charge my laptop. I never thought to use it to test a machine. :thumbup: