Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Meet Miss Sophie, a 1913 White FR Treadle (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/meet-miss-sophie-1913-white-fr-treadle-t179138.html)

Whigrose 02-12-2012 01:19 PM

Meet Miss Sophie, a 1913 White FR Treadle

2 Attachment(s)
Hello all,
Meet Miss Sophie, a 1913 White Family Rotary (FR) treadle. She's a lovely lady. She was originally bought and owned by her namesake, a Mrs. Sophie D. (last name being withheld) who used her faithfully up until her passing. Mrs. Sophie's sister then used used her until her passing about 40 years ago. Her covered was closed and it is believed she was never used again until this afternoon.

She came home to me on Friday evening. I commenced with the obligitory bath and general cleaning Muv-style (thank you again Muv). I had a devil of time getting the old needle out an a worse time getting a new needle to stay in. Hm, think a screwdriver to tighten the screw might help (the White manual's suggestion, as found on the ISMACS website, not my brilliance, sorry to say). Once I made that hurdle all that was left was get her stitching and that required brain-rewiring. White's operate in the opposite direction from Singers and other machines. It took one pass of about five inches, adjusted the dial a bit and she's good to go. Perfection! All the original attachments came with the machine.

Now some will call me crazy or foolish and so be it but one of the drawers was locked when we picked her up. Neither the great-granddaughter nor I could open it nor could Dh and I open when we got her home. As I'm finishing up her bath, all the while wondering what she would tell me if she could talk, the drawer literally popped open. I took that as a sign from Mrs. Sophie that we're good. In the initial conversations I had asked the ggd if I could name the machine after her ggm; when we arrived to pick it up she had copies of photos and the great-grandparents 50th Anniversary program for me to have. I aim to create a small journal for each of my ladies for whoever has them after me so they might know some history of each machine (this was a suggestion from someone on this QB).

Funny thing is, months ago the ggd posted the machine and received so many calls in a very short time. She told me something was telling her 'This isn't right'. She went back and posted the machine had been taken. Fast forward- When she saw my post she contacted me and the rest is history. I made her a promise if her circumstances changed in the next couple of years and she wants Ms. Sophie back, I will give her back and be thankful for the time I had her. I'm guessing she feels pretty good because in our parting comments she said something like 'If when you're done with her and have somone in your family.... I think we both fought back misty eyes. Yea, call us saps.

Mrs. Sophie and her husband's picture is on the machine and will remain there so as long as I have her (Miss S.) or as long as the picture holds out.

Without further adieu...
Enjoy,
best,
d

Caroline S 02-12-2012 01:27 PM

Congratulations on acquiring such a beautiful sewing machine. You are so fortunate to have a machine with her history. The original Miss Sophie has given her approval and knows how much you will care for and love her sewing machine.

luce321 02-12-2012 01:42 PM

What a beautiful story, it is rare to have a full history of a machine. I'm sure that her ggd knows she has put "Ms Sophie" in good hands and that she will be well cared for.

Charlee 02-12-2012 02:23 PM

Miz Sophie is gorgeous, as is the heart of her new caretaker! :)

Bennett 02-12-2012 02:26 PM

Beautiful job! Such a wonderful story to go with her too.

pinkberrykay 02-12-2012 02:27 PM

Thanks for sharing the story, she is really a beauty!!

jrrotunno 02-13-2012 04:18 AM

Beautiful machine and wonderful story. Thank you for sharing!

BarbaraSue 02-14-2012 12:26 PM

Miss Sophie is a very pretty machine. She is around the age of my grandma's that she bought in July 1917 as she dated her manual. the pics look just like that one. Oh how I wish I knew where the machine went!

callen 02-14-2012 01:02 PM

What a gorgeous machine & cabinet & what a touching story. Tks for sharing. I know she will be loved.

Dianna77984 02-15-2012 08:04 AM

Beautiful machine and a beautiful story.