Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   montgomery ward model 35 cns-1982 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/montgomery-ward-model-35-cns-1982-a-t202608.html)

beauford 10-07-2012 05:01 PM

montgomery ward model 35 cns-1982

Great day for the central Illinois spoon river drive , found Montgomery Ward sewing machine portable free arm inside case says 35 cns-1982 manual ruined pages all stuck together . I need manual please help

margecam52 08-06-2016 07:16 AM

I have one also...no manual... trying to figure out how to thread it.

margecam52 08-06-2016 08:12 AM

6 Attachment(s)
I figured out how to thread it. Bobbin spins left when placed in the drop in bobbin case. Threads weird, you put the thread through the spring which the opening slot is away from you...then you slide the thread back towards you, then back over the larger opening...and then pick up the bobbin thread with the needle....looks strange. Upper thread...you put around the notch in the bar that is to the back right of the machine...bring the bar up..wrap the thread...go over to the guide on the upper back side of the machine...under the tension assembly, up through the take up lever, down Through the guide on the lower front side...then through the guide on the needle bar...then through the needle.

Now, I am amazed at the placement of the needle...it's at an angle...about 30 degree angle..scarf (bite at back of needle..is facing the back left corner of the machine (almost), and the front (long groove is the front) faces to the right. Not sure if that is correct...but the machine is sewing fine.

I oiled the heck out of it...left it over night...and it just hums along. Oh, and for a belt...I took an Orick vacuum belt and split in into two belts...works fine. I don't have a way to go to Store to buy a belt...I'm in our shop today while hubby is at auction...so can't leave. stitches are very small..it may need to have that gizmo oiled...but I didn't open the body of the machine...will later. I hope these pics can help you. Please let me know if your needle is at an angle.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]555396[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]555397[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]555398[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]555399[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]555400[/ATTACH]

margecam52 08-06-2016 08:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
here is a pic of the machine[ATTACH=CONFIG]555401[/ATTACH]

Cari-in-Oly 08-06-2016 10:15 AM

his is a Portman made machine and pretty much identical to them so you might try looking for a Portman manual. They were also sold under one other name that escapes me right now.

Cari

49Ellen 09-15-2016 05:40 PM

this picture looks like my Mom's old machine--What has been your experience with it? -I can't wait to start sewing with it and see how it goes....Cheers!

WIChix 09-17-2016 03:47 AM

Compac may be the other name.

Cari-in-Oly 09-17-2016 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by WIChix (Post 7654595)
Compac may be the other name.

That's it, thanks.

Cari

49Ellen 09-17-2016 11:34 AM

just sewed a few strips together yesterday and MW worked just fine! Yeah! When I looked into the box of feet--there were so many and 4 pkgs of needles. The manual said to only use MW needles. my concern is when I come to the end where do I get more needles? First time sewing with this. And can't tell how "old" this is...just for my information sake. Looked on line, with DH and he couldn't find any more info....;) all the way and if I could do a happy dance I would.